Chapter 2

Gideon found Garyn in his study, the Lord of the Manor working with Benjamin to perfect the design of a new arm to replace the one the Lord had lost under the blade of the Midnight King. Benjamin had several diagrams laid out on the desk as his father held up first one then another, weighing each against the other as to what he felt would fit best, serve him best, and look best. Benjamin's skill with construction of such things, as well as his personal experience of, until recently, wearing one himself, assured Garyn that whatever he chose would be well forged, and serve him well.

Still, vanity did play a part, even for the Lord of the Manor.

Upond entering the study, the Door Warden gave Garyn a quick bow, then his voice rumbled through the room.

"My Lord, I bring news. The portal to Maa has been approached, and one stands there asking for aid."

"Maa?"

Garyn quickly set down the designs and looked to his long time friend and servant in wonder.

"Maa is a dark world, home to a Lord of Darkness himself. How has someone even found the portal, much less dared make contact?"

"I do not know, Lord Garyn, but I am the Door Warden. I know when such as this occurs and, no matter the world, they are seeking our aid."

Garyn rose from his seat, face serious, yet a small flame of hope burned in his eyes. He moved toward the door with purposeful strides, robes flaring around his feet as he did so.

"Benjamin, find your brothers and bring them to the Great Doors at once. If this is true, we must act quickly, for contacting the Manor will make those who do so a target of great value."

"Yes father."

The middle son of the Manor moved off quickly to find his brothers, wondering what had happened to make his father so intense, but sensing a new adventure had come their way.

A short time later, Garyn and his sons were at the huge doors that opened on the Way, that path that led to all the worlds of the universes held in the hand of the Maker. Garyn wore austere robes that projected a noble, even royal air, but Jaryd and his brothers were more simple garb of tunic, leggings and boots of simple yet sturdy make. Garyn had suggested Jaryd should dress in clothing more due his station, but the eldest Son of the Manor had refused.

"This has potential to be a moment of great portent, my sons." Garyn said softly, eyes on the doors as he spoke. "No one from Maa has sought our aid in more than 400 years, not since Amalkhadie, the Lord of Deceit and Shadow took control of that world. Since then, we have only heard rumours and whispers of resistance, those who still seek to serve the Maker in a world almost completely given over to Darkness. If what Gideon says is true...."

The Door Warden snorted, clearly thinking him being mistaken was an impossibility.

"...then we may have a chance to serve the Maker in reclaiming this world for him."

"Correction..."

The Lord of the Manor turned to look at his sons closely, focusing on each in turn.

"...YOU may have a chance to serve the Maker by reclaiming this world for him."

"Us? But you are the Lord of the Manor, father." Jaryd's confusion was not feigned for, despite the fact he had acted on his own over the last few weeks as his father had recovered from his wounds, the eldst Son of the Manor regarded his father as still being the true Lord of the Manor.

"Jaryd, we have had this conversation before. A Lord of the Manor must be seen as whole and in good health, as well as being of sound and true mind. This..." Garyn gestured to his missing arm, "...makes some see me was weaker, or lesser than I was. This perceived weakness, whether it is true weakness or not, may make some hesitate about following me and that is a situation we cannot afford."

"YOU are the Lord of the Manor, Father, not I."

His brothers heard the firmness in their oldest brother's voice, but they knew there was also hesitation due to not feeling worthy to take their father's place, a worry of inadequacy and a fear of failing to do what he should. Though he had had great success, and proved himself to many, Jaryd had yet to prove to himself that he was ready to succeed their father.

Garyn shook his head, frustration on his face, as he turned to the doors.

"Open the doors, Gideon."

"Yes, Lord."

The Door Warden did as he was bid and, slowly, the massive oaken doors swung open.

As they did so, Galen felt a rush of portent pass over him.

Though he had no idea just how his life was about to change.