Chapter 13

"So, how do we proceed?"

The question was asked by Jaryd as he sat with Benjamin, Galen,Mahrmia and Beagh at a table upon the quarterdeck where they had just finished there evening meal. All were weary, for the day had been long and full of adventures, yet all felt a satisfaction within them; they had done what none had accomplished before by defeating not one, but three Bloodsails.

Of course, this was both blessing and curse. Word would spread of what they had done, and they would be hailed by many as heroes, while the other Bloodsails would focus on the Leal and her crew with even greater intensity and urgency. Revenge would be their motive, yes. But, even more so, a desire to reestablish that they ruled the waves and not the pirates.

A victory had been won.

Now was the time for giving and receiving of counsel as to what was to happen next.

"What do we know now that we did not before?" Beagh asked, looking from one to another as she spoke. Though still wary of the Manorborn and their intentions, she was allowing them some latitude and cautious friendship due to their actions in the taking of the ships of their enemy. They had proven themselves for now.

"We know the number of Bloodsails upone the seas." Mahrmia gestured to the map that lay before them on the table and the markings in red upon it. "We know their number and where they tend to patrol."

"Though that may change when word of our actions here reaches them." Galen commented, to which all at the table nodded. None were under the illusion that their victory would be a secret for long.

"True enough," Mahrmia nodded, her eyes on the map as she spoke, a slender hand cupping her chin as she contemplated the parchment before her with a keen, knowing gaze. "Once word reaches them of what we have done, we can anticipate a good third or more of their ships will come our way, intent upon making us pay a heavy price for what we did here today."

"But, there are ships that would ally with you are there not?"

Benjamin's voice rumbled as he spoke,his eyes on the map as well, his owl, Syndfar also gazing at the map with great, golden, unblinking eyes. The big man's arms were crossed upon his chest, his silver arm up, finger stroking his chin as he contemplated what was before them; both on the parchment and in their future.

"Aye, they will, if I can convince them that the cause is right, and..." a sardonic smile crossed Mahrmia's lips, "...for more than one, there will needs be a promise of treasure to entice them. They are pirates after all. We may all be united in our desire to fight the Usurper King, but our motivations as to why we do so vary by degrees."

"Well, you are pirates after all." Galen grinned. Of them all, he seemed most at ease. He sat back in his chair, seemingly relaxed, a hand toying with the grip and pommel of one of this swords as he did so.

"And proud of it." Beagh nodded with a grin that echoed her captain's own.

"Then we appeal to them as pirates. We can promise them adventure, battle, and, they can claim whatever booty is aboard any Bloodsail they take as prize."

"That would appeal to them, that is certain," Mahrmia nodded, as did Beagh. Galen's suggestion was a good one indeed, and he was right that it would appeal to the heart's and minds of those she called friends, associates, and peers.

"This is all well and good, for pirates can defend themselves, and go forth armed. But, what of these," Jaryd pointed to the smaller islands and the floating cities that pocketed the map before them. "These who are currently under the thumb of the Usurper and his Bloodsails. How will they fare should we bring the battle to the Bloodsails?"

"Not well."

Arlia, her red hair seeming to glow with a sheen and shine all its own in the lamplight, emerged from the darkness, her beautiful young face grim as she spoke.