Chapter 11

The crew of the Leal staggered from the impact of whatever had hit them on the port side. The power of the blow stunned everyone; officers and crew alike, a sudden silence overall, eyes looking to other eyes with the unspoken question.

What had hit them?

A crew member, more brave or foolish than the rest, moved to the side and looked over in an attempt to see what was attacking their ship.

"Captain! I see nothing! The water is rippling as if something large is there, but I see ...."

He disappeared.

There was no scream, no sign of attack. He simply vanished.

At that same moment, the ship pitched to the port side, as if a great weight were coming down, or climbing up the hull, on that side. Crew cried out as they were made to stumble and fall on the deck, while loose items rolled in the same direction. Rigging on that side twisted and parted as if something large was passing through, and wet drops of water could be seen on the deck, dripping off a powerful body, though none could be seen.

A crew men gave a cry as his leg vanished and he was lifted in the air, several feet above the deck. He flailed and kicked as best he could, reaching for his pistol, as he hung in the air for a moment, screaming in terror. Then, suddenly, he flew up in the air, his leg appearing for a moment, before he fell toward the deck, only to vanish in mid-air as quickly and silently as the first crew member had.

"Get back! Get back!" Mahrmia cried out as she staggered away from the general area of their unseen attacker. The ship had righted itself, which led all to believe that the thing was now fully on the deck with them. All peered about, eyes narrowing as they sought some sign of who, or what was on the ship with them.

"Pistols and rifles ready! The moment you have a shot, take it!"

Beagh's voice rang out in sure command, and the crew followed her words without question. Everyone drew pistols while those who had rifles with them primed and readied them.

But what were they to shoot at?

No one could see anything.

Galen was the first to notice anything, his one eye proving more keen than the two eyes of the others around him. It was he who saw the ripple of movement, a distortion that appeared before some barrels stacked on the deck, agains the portside railing, as well as the way the wood seemed to splinter and pucker as if something were being driven into it; something like sharp claws or talons. He knew this indicated something was passing by. Quickly pointing, he cried out in command.

"There! To the left of the main mast! Fire!"

Weapons swung where he pointed without question. There was a cacophony of pistol and rifle shot as smoke and fire belched from those held in steady hands.From the Crow's Nest, Pamje fired his own rifle where Galen indicated. Smoke filled the air around them as the smell of cordite came to their nostrils.

The shots struck, many saw them do so, but they had no effect on their foe. The lead simply bounced off the surface of the invisible creature.

For creature it was.

Though the shots bounced off, a loud hiss filled the air; a sound like steam slowly escaping from a hot kettle but deeper, throaier, more feral in nature and tone.

"It's charging!"

Galen's warming saved many, but not all. Screams came from crew that suddenly found themselves thrown over the side of the ship and into the open ocean. Though they could swim, they were stunned by the fall and floated in a daze as they tried to regain their senses.