Chapter 15

While all this was going on, the Leal and her small convoy of captured ships, was making its way West, toward the Teeth and sanctuary. They had good winds, and were making excellent progress, sailing over the waves, sails billowing out as they caught a strong wind that carried them rapidly over the splashing foam, the spray washing up the hull as the finely crafted vessels flew over the cerulean blue below them.

High above it all, in the Crow's Nest, Galen stood, dressed in the clothes he had taken as his own since coming aboard the Leal. He laughed as the ship flew over the waves, rising and falling with the undulations of the water beneath her, the sea breeze on his face, the salty taste on his lips, and the sun dancing on the waves before his eyes. This was freedom! This was joy and adventure!

Looking down into the water, he caught sight of something and, calling Pamje over, he pointed down to the huge gray form undulating beneath the surface on the port side of the ship.

"Pamje, what be that down there?"

The smaller lookout came over and, looking over the side he smiled.

"That be an Eel-Shark, what we call a Shreel! They are amazing animals, but pray you never fall into the water when they are around!" He pointed a finger down at the creature. "Ye can see, it be as long as the Leal, and its got a mouth full of razor sharp teeth, with a hunger for almost anything it can eat! I've seen some so big they can swallow a man whole, not even one bite, just a gulp, a swallow, and he be gone!"

"I hope I never meet one in the ocean then!" Galen smiled, nodding to Pamje in gratitude for the information he had given.

"If you do, the last thing you'll see is that terrible smile full of teeth and then..." The dark-skinned man made a slicing motion across his neck, "...next you know, yer standing before the Maker!"

Galen laughed, then, seeing something else, he pointed to several forms swimming on the starboard side.

"What are those?"

Pamje looked, then started and looked again.

"By the Maker!"

The smaller man ran to the side and, calling out loudly, he gave news to his captain.

"Captain! Starboard side! There be Sea Folk down there!"

"Sea Folk?!!"

"You must be seeing things!"

"Yer mad, Pamje!"

Everyone looked startled, but all rushed to the railing, looking down in wonder as they saw with their own eyes the slim, man-like forms swimming alongside the fast moving boat with ease.

"Maker be praised!"

"Are ye seeing this?!!"

"Tis myth come to life!"

"Me da would be speechless if he could see this!"

Mahrmia herself was standing there, staring in awe, as she saw the very creatures her father used to tell her of before she went to sleep made real before her eyes. Beside her, Beag just stared in silent awe.

"Beag, tell me you see this." The Captain said softly, her eyes staring at the wonder before her.

"Aye, Captain. I'm seeing it." The dwarven First Mate nodded, her voice barely a whisper as she too gazed at fiction made real in front of her.

"Amazing." Benjamin rumbled, looking down at the beings swimming alongside the ship with ease. "They are matching our speed, and do not seem to be straining to do so at all. What strength they must have in their bodies to do so!"

"Indeed," Jaryd nodded, his eyes alight with wonder as he gazed at the slim forms before them. "Clearly, they are profoundly strong and,..."

He gestured to the weapons strapped on their backs as he continued.