Chapter 1 ~ The Prelude

"Welcome to Los Angeles, fellow passengers. We will be landing in approximately 10 minutes, please fasten your seatbelts and put your trays in the upright position locked to the seat in front of you. The weather is a balmy 78 degrees with sunny skies. We hope you enjoyed flying with United Airlines and hope to see you in the skies again soon." I looked out the window of the airplane as we made our approach to Los Angeles International Airport on this beautiful Spring Day in March. It was a long 8-hour flight, as I was flying in from the East Coast. As we descended, I felt my nerves increasing. The all to familiar feeling of a rapid heartbeat and shallow breathing. Could I do this? I was finally going to meet Johnny in person, after six months of correspondence by email, text messages, and phone calls. Would he like me? Would he think I was pretty enough? As the plane landed, I was one of the last to disembark the plane. What the hell am I doing here? I ran into the nearest restroom and locked myself in one of the restroom stalls. I had to get myself together! I never imagined I would be meeting Johnny in person.

Ten months ago, I had sent a letter to Johnny. It was during his trial with his ex-wife that everyone was so tuned into. I hated the way she acted and especially hated the way she had treated him during their so-called marriage. I wrote an encouraging letter to him along with two poems that I felt would help him during this tumultuous time in his life. Funny, I had never really been crazy about him until the trial but something within him really spoke to me and I had to get my feelings out and let him know about them. I never expected to receive a response, as I knew many other fans, or relatives as Johnny calls them, would be doing just the same. The Summer went by, and I went on with life. My life consisted of taking care of my special needs children and finishing up my college degree. Then in September, while checking my emails, I came across a message that simply said, "Don't Delete Me." Intrigued, I opened it, and it was a private email from Johnny! He had not only received my letter and poems but had responded! He thanked me for the beautiful poems and heartfelt letter. He also said he didn't normally reach out to fans but something in my letter called out to him, and he wanted to thank me personally. What started out as a simple thank you email, turned into endless emails, text messages, and video phone calls. We shared a lot in such a short time and with the start of the New Year, he wanted to meet me in person. So, it was arranged, and here I am!

I stepped out of the restroom stall, walked over to the sink and splashed cool water on my face. I gave myself a pep talk and told myself to stop acting like a scaredy cat and get on with it. Stephen, Johnny's personal assistant, was picking me up to take me to his home in the Hollywood Hills. After exiting the security gate, I saw a sharp dressed man holding a sign that said "Julie Adams". This had to be Stephen. He was tall with caramel brown hair and big brown eyes, rocking a grey Armani suit. Immediately, I felt out of place with my jeans, black t-shirt, and sneakers on. I've always been a low maintenance girl. Doubts crossed my mind again, what the hell am I doing here?! I'm nowhere near the "Hollywood" type. Sigh, this was going to be an interesting journey.

I walked up to Stephen and told him I was the one he was looking for. He had a warm smile and asked for identification. I can understand why, so I showed him my driver's license. We walked to the baggage claim to pick up my luggage and he walked me outside to a black SUV that was waiting for us. I was not used to luxury, being a middle-class girl. This SUV had all the bells and whistles you could imagine! It was much better than my 15-year-old Ford back home. On the way to Johnny's house, Stephen made small talk with me. No doubt, trying to find out more about me. He said Johnny has never done this before, never flown someone out to his house that he has never met. I also mentioned that I have never done something like this before as well. Stephen just chuckled and smiled, obviously knowing something I did not know. It was a short ride, about 20 minutes from the airport. We turned down a long, curved road that led up to a gated property. There were paparazzi outside of the gates, so I knew we had to be at Johnny's home. They are relentless, annoying pests to say the least!

The property was stunning! After passing the gates, the driveway would take you through lush gardens and up to a beautiful gothic style castle. I had never seen anything like it! It was breathtaking! Stephen opened my door and let me out of the SUV. I was in awe, just taking in the beautiful scenery before me. He grabbed my luggage and motioned for me to come toward the front door. He mentioned that Johnny was at a meeting but would be back shortly and I was free to roam the house and property if I wished. Upon opening the double front doors, the inside of the home was like stepping into a medieval castle. Rustic, yet gothic. I was led into the kitchen where I was met by Maria, the housekeeper. I could see the living area from the kitchen, so many guitars! Guitars hanging on the walls, from the ceiling. You could tell music was something Johnny truly loved in life. Papers strewn all over the coffee table, gothic artwork and sculptures on the walls. Stephen had told me to make myself at home, but he had to go and would be back later. Maria went off to complete her chores and l was left alone. I felt like a fish out of water, alone in this big, beautiful house. What the hell was I doing here?!

I felt weird looking through a house that I had never been in, especially Johnny's house! I noticed a beautiful white gazebo outside, not far from the kitchen doors. I needed some fresh air! I went outside and into the gazebo. It was a work of art with beautiful engravings all around the edges. Beautiful, yet comforting. It was a weird sensation, anything that had to do with Johnny made me feel at ease. Crazy, since I had never met the man. I leaned up against the post of the gazebo, looking out towards the gardens. It was a beautiful garden. Many trees that provided privacy and flowers that were blooming in shades of pink, yellow, and blue. Butterflies and birds were plenty and added to the beautiful landscape before my eyes. I felt at peace and closed my eyes to enjoy the silence with my head resting against the gazebo. I was immersed in my own world when I heard someone behind me, "cough, cough, ahem." I did not turn around right away but the scent of musk and tobacco gave it away and I knew who it was, Johnny.