Chapter 11 ~ Twists and Turns

Eight long weeks had gone by since that beautiful week we had together. We kept in touch daily, sometimes multiple times a day, but it wasn't the same. It was a beautiful Spring Day in May and I had just graduated from college a few days prior. Johnny, of course, was not able to attend for obvious reasons but had sent a huge bouquet of roses and sunflowers, which brought a smile to my face. I was on to the next chapter of my life with my children and hoped he would be a part of that chapter, although I didn't know how. As I looked down at two pink lines staring back at me, I cried. I needed to tell him, but I wasn't sure I could. This put me in a tough situation here at home, but I didn't want to depend on him either. In this moment, all I wanted was his arms around me. Here didn't feel like home, he did. In my hand was the first ultrasound. It was a miracle that this child was even conceived as I had trouble conceiving with my other children. This was a blessing; one I would be forever grateful for.

I dialed Alex on my phone... "Hello?" "Alex! It's Julie." "Julie!! Girl, I haven't heard from you in SO long! What's going on?" "Alex, I need a favor." "Anything." "I need you to pick me up at the airport and take me to Johnny's house. I need to tell him something, but he can't know I'm coming." There was awkward silence, very unusual for Alex. "Alex?? Did you hear me?" "Umm, yes. Of course, I can come get you, just let me know when and where!" "Alex, what's wrong? Is something going on?" "Julie... you should come as soon as possible. He's not doing well but I don't really want to tell you over the phone about it, just trust me when I say you should get here as soon as you can." We hung up the phone and so many thoughts were going through my mind. What was going on over there?! I went online and booked a flight for the next day. I felt guilty, I should have stayed....

I left my children with their dad and flew back out to Los Angeles the next morning. Alex met me at the airport and picked me up in the same SUV that held so many memories. Seriously, there were so many other cars and it had to be this one? "Alex, what is going on? Please tell me." Alex was unusually solemn. "You didn't tell him I was coming did you? "No! I kept your secret, although I'm not sure why you didn't want him to know." I said nothing as I looked out the window as the trees passed us by. "Melissa is back causing chaos again in his life." I turned and looked at him with an anxious expression. "Melissa? His ex-wife, Melissa?" "Yes. That one. She has brought another lawsuit against him and as you can imagine, he is not taking it well." Hell. We didn't really talk about her as he wanted to forget everything that had happened and move on. "So that's why he's been unusually quiet the past few days." "Yes. Believe me when I say, you couldn't have come at a better time. He needs you." I leaned back in the seat of the SUV and sighed. There was no way I could tell him now; he needed me for this and didn't need to be worried about the news I would carry until the time was right to share it.

As we pulled up to the house, I noticed it was busier than usual. Upon entering through the front door, I could hear yelling and slamming. The usual gang was there, Stephen and Grace, Alex and Mark, along with the security staff. I stood behind everyone, not saying a word. I couldn't find Johnny, but I could hear him. I assumed he was in the music room behind closed doors as one of his securities was standing guard outside the door. "Julie! When did you.... Why are you here?" Grace said surprised to see me. I just smiled. "Sorry Julie, things are chaotic at the moment preparing to leave then this happened." Stephen said. Johnny was preparing to leave out of the country to do a movie, another reason I wanted to see him before he left. I walked past everyone without saying a word and walked over to the security in front of the door to the music room. "Let me in." "Sorry ma'am, he doesn't want to be disturbed." "I don't care, let me in." "Paul! Let her in!" Stephen yelled from the kitchen. Paul stepped aside and nodded at me to go inside the music room.

I slowly opened the door and shut it behind me. Johnny was at the piano playing the same notes over and over, a very melancholy tune. He had a look of sheer sadness on his face I had never seen before and was very much in his own world. "I told you I didn't want to be disturbed." He said never looking up from the piano keys. "Well, you are being disturbed." Johnny jumped up at the sound of my voice and ran to me, embracing me in a tight hug. "Julie! What are you doing here?!" "I needed to see you." I didn't want to tell him the real reason for my visit just yet. He brushed my hair away from my face with tears in his eyes. I grabbed him in a tight hug, I never wanted to let him go. We sat in each other's arms for what seemed like hours, not saying anything, just being in the moment. "I'm glad you're here, Julie." "Me too but what's going on? Alex filled me in a little bit, but I want to hear it from you." He stood up and walked over to the window. "I'm tired of her crap, it's one thing after another. I wish she would just leave me alone." I walked over to him and rubbed his arm. "Don't let her get to you. Don't let her win. By getting upset over anything she does, she wins." Johnny turned and wrapped me in his arms and kissed me sweetly. "You always try to help. I understand your words but it's not that simple with her." "Then make it simple." He smiled and shook his head. "My sunflower...."