Chapter 7 ~ Passion & Music

I woke up to bright sunshine filtering in between the curtains of my bedroom. Last night was incredible yet so frustrating! I know Johnny is falling deeper within his emotions but at the same time he is fighting it. I just cannot understand why! I want to be patient, then again, I do not. Ugh! I glanced over to the gift bag that had the journal I bought for him yesterday. I smiled and picked it up. I had an idea of what to write inside of it. I’m an artist by NO means but I would attempt to draw a long-stemmed rose on the first page. I looked up various rose drawings on my phone and found one that seemed easy enough to do. A circle here, a wave there, petals over there. Hmm, it doesn’t look that bad. I made two hearts on both sides, encircling the rose, and wrote at the bottom, “A rose is the symbol of two hearts merging as one.” I was so caught up in drawing this rose that I did not notice an actual rose sitting on my dresser with a note attached to it. I walked over and picked up the rose with a note that said, “The rose speaks of love silently in a language only known to the heart.” I closed my eyes and smiled as I smelled the sweetness of the rose. I’m going to miss waking up to these beautiful surprises…

     I made my way downstairs to a quiet house. 8:30am, hmm, Alex will be here soon to take me shopping for a dress. I had an idea, with the journal in my hand, I went out to Johnny’s art studio. I wanted to find a red marker to fill in the rose and hearts in his journal when I noticed a blank canvas sitting on the large island. A smile came across my face. Rummaging through the studio, I found red and green paint and red markers. I attempted to paint the same rose as I had drawn into the journal onto the canvas. It wasn’t bad! I smiled, quite proud of myself. I wrote on the bottom of the painting, “This single rose says more than a dozen ever will. Follow your heart.” I went and put it up on the art easel to dry. “Wow, that’s an awesome painting!” I jumped so hard; I thought my heart went through me. I turned around to see Alex standing in the doorway with a huge, silly grin on his face.

     “Hell Alex, you could have given me some warning!” “Then that wouldn’t have been any fun to see your reaction.” I rolled my eyes and gave him a playful smack on the arm. “I called you throughout the house with no answer, so I figured you were out here somewhere.” We both were looking towards the rose painting I had done. “Do you think he will like it?” “Girl, you don’t even have to ask that question.” “I hope you’re right.” “I know I’m right” Alex said with a wink. “Let’s go shopping!” We made our way back inside the house. I was about to head out when I noticed Alex not moving. “What?” Alex started laughing. “I don’t think a painted-on look is a good thing in a dress shop.” Oh hell. I went over to the kitchen sink and cleaned my face and arms up. “Better?” “Much.” I rolled my eyes and smiled. One thing about Alex, he was always positive, and I enjoyed that. It kept me from worrying about other things, Johnny things. I hid the journal inside one of the kitchen drawers underneath some towels, hoping nobody would find it there. “Let’s go!”

     Alex and I made our way down Rodeo Drive and stopped at a high-end dress boutique. As I got out of the car, the all too familiar feeling of being out of place set in. Alex came over to me, “Are you okay Julie?” “Wow, this is too much! It’s too… Hollywood.” Alex laughed. “Johnny wants to do this for you, let him.” I nodded as we headed inside. This boutique was nothing I’d ever seen before! Wedding dresses, Evening dresses, any kind of dress you could ever want was inside. Crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, full-length wall mirrors, even champagne on ice! “Alex! I was wondering when we would see you around here again!” A cute, blonde saleslady had embraced him in a hug. Wow, she was gorgeous! Total model type. I let out a sigh and tried not to think of the stigma of Hollywood. “Hi, Lisa! This is Julie and we are here to find a knock-your-socks off Evening dress for her!” Lisa looked me up and down. “What are you looking for?” I did not like this lady; she gave off very snobbish vibes. I turned to Alex and gave him a look, hoping he would get it. He did, thankfully. “Julie, what things do you want to see in a dress?” “Well, something that can camouflage my stomach and arms. I’m not a dress person, so it’s hard for me to say. You pick! If those things are met, I’m good!” I wasn’t overweight but according to Hollywood standards, I was. I was self-conscious about my body and wanted to impress Johnny since he wanted me to go with him. I was also becoming nervous, what if I run into these snobbish people at the afterparty? Ugh! It was all overwhelming me. “Excuse me.” I turned to walk outside of the shop. I needed air. I needed him.