How to be a Good Boyfriend

Being a good boyfriend can be hard for some people.

Some guys just don't know what to do and how to do it. They don't know how to care for their partner, aren't good at reading their partner, or just straight up act as if their partner doesn't exist. It's honestly such a sad sight to see.

Bruce always promised he wasn't going to be like that. He knew he wouldn't be like that. He remembers how much his father loved his mother. How he would shower her in love and affection and make her feel like she was his world. In a way, she totally was.

So, Bruce knew exactly what to do when he got a partner. So, when he finally did, he was going to make sure to let him know that he was, in fact, Bruce's world.

Step 1: Give your boyfriend attention

Vance, at the beginning of their relationship, kept his distance to a degree. He didn't actively avoid Bruce, but he actively avoided touching him. At first, Bruce was worried that he was doing something wrong, and he was worried he would never know what he was doing wrong because Vance was so closed off, but eventually, he finds out Vance was sensitive to touch.

So Bruce is patient.

"Hey, Vance?" Bruce starts, Vance looking at him as they walk down the sidewalk towards the newly built arcade.

"What?" Vance asks, voice a little rough, but Bruce didn't mind.

"Can I hold your hand?" Bruce asks kindly, a small smile on his face as he stares at the other. Vance's shoulders tense, his eyes widen slightly and he's quickly looking away, a mean look on his face. It didn't fool Bruce.

"Why?" When Bruce hears Vance says that, he laughs softly, looking down at their hands that were so close to touching.

"I just want to hold my boyfriend's hand is all." He admits, and Vance is silent for a long moment before Bruce feels Vance's hand slide into his arm. Bruce can feel his heart jump for joy as he closes his hand around Vance's, slowly interlocking their fingers as to not startle Vance. Vance tenses, and he looks down at their hands for a long moment before he's looking forward again. Bruce never mentioned the red that graced Vance's cheeks.

After that, Vance was constantly trying to touch Bruce.

Constantly trying to hold his hand and he'll make sure that their legs are touching in some way when they sit with one another. Whenever the two are at Bruce's house and decide on watching a movie or playing a video game, Bruce is pulled into Vance's lap and his back is resting against Vance's chest.

Bruce has learned at this point that whenever the two are separated for a long time and Vance was walking towards him straight on what to do. His arms open and he relishes the hug that Vance gives him, laughing and asking how he was just to give them something to talk about.

Another thing Bruce was aware of is that Vance is not a big fan of parties. The loud music was harmful to his ears and being around so many people at once proved to agitate him quickly. The one time they were at a party and Bruce noticed, he's quick to pull Vance to a nearby room where the music can be muffled, and he helps Vance calm down. Bruce doesn't mind parties. The loud music just means that he can sing along without anyone judging his singing voice and the drinks and food are normally good enough for him to not be hungry when he gets home. But he also doesn't mind just sitting with Vance and talking with him privately.

After that, Bruce doesn't bring Vance to parties. He doesn't mind spending the night with Vance over a party.

One time though, Vance asks if Bruce wanted to go to Finney's birthday party. Both of them were invited and Finney had said he really wanted them to go. Bruce, of course, was confused because it was against what he had learned, but Vance wasn't letting up on his reasoning, so Bruce decided maybe there was something that he was just missing the hint on and decided to go.