Not Alone.

It's probably an awful idea to be out this late. Scratch that, it IS an awful idea.

The sun had gone down a long time ago, streets lit by barely luminescent lamps, empty streets not even cars out this late.

And yet here Bruce is.

It was sometime after 11 when Bruce had snuck out, his parents had been asleep a good hour before he'd slipped out his window. It wasn't the first time he'd gone on a late night walk, but it had been a while.

It's nearing the end of summer break so Bruce try's to cling to what little freedom he has left. Which just so happens to be strolling around his neighbourhood at ungodly hours.

He doesn't have a set location in mind, just lets his feet take him where he needs to be. The air's humid with that lingering august heat and sort of uncomfortable but the stray breeze makes up for it now and again.

Somehow he's ended up near the corner store, it's usually open 24 hours but the lights inside aren't on so either there's a power outage or the teen usually manning the counter has packed up shop for the night early.

Still the neon LED's in the window and on the sign flicker with life as Bruce approaches.

As soon as he's close enough, Bruce glances through the glass door, hands bracketing his face as he squints. It's dark and eerie especially this time of night, there's a clock illuminating the back of the store and Bruce has to focus hard but eventually he makes out the bright 01:24.

Damn.

Briefly, Bruce contemplates where to go from here, he could go back but he's still got that little buzz of adrenaline going so he wouldn't be able to sleep.

There's also Robin's house, it's not far from the store and if he lets his feet guide him down the streets he's sure he'll remember the direction. Plus Finney might be there too.

But then on the other hand Finney's most likely there and as much and Bruce loves the guys, does he really want to third wheel while they pretend they don't like each other?

Hard pass.

The loud cough is startling and Bruce is quick to throw himself away from the door, staring around him for where the noise had come from. There's no one there, the streets are still as empty as when Bruce walked them.

He's almost ready to brush it off as his overactive brain, making things up in the dark when he hears it again, followed by a groan of pain. This time Bruce knows exactly where it's coming from.

And before his brain can catch up with the rest of Bruce's stupid ass, he rounds the corner of the store and low and behold there's someone on the floor.

They're perched up against the brick wall, messing with their hand which they're cradling close to their chest. They groan again, head hitting the wall with a dull thud and revealing a familiar face behind that mop of blond hair.

"Vance?"

The figure turns and, yeah, sure enough Vance Hopper is glaring up at Bruce from the floor. His attitude is less than friendly - not that it ever really is to begin with - but still Bruce comes closer now that he recognises the boy. He blames it on the lack of sleep, he doesn't always have a death wish.

And the closer Bruce gets, the more horrified at the sight he becomes.

The light barely reaches the back of the store, but it's enough to see that Vance is a for the lack of a better term - fucked up. His nose looks broken, dried blood smeared beneath it, some of his hair is matted with it; turning some strands dark maroon. The hand he's got cradled to his chest is bloody too, and looks sore by the way Vance flinches as he moves, sitting straighter to meet Bruce head on. Likes he's ready for another fight "What the fuck do you want"