Lol not sure what to call this one either

Words: 969 😏

Tsukki stared out the window as Daichi parked the car and everyone piled out.

He sighed and hauled himself up, staring at the white, solid building ahead of him. He remembered looking at it in the same way when he'd left. And feeling the same things.

Dread. Sadness.

Fear.

"Let's go!" Hinata yelled, snapping Tsukki out of his daze. Reluctantly, he followed the others to the automatic doors, standing behind as Daichi and Suga talked to the woman at the front desk. She smiled kindly and had a strong but sweet voice.

"That's so sweet of you boys. And of course, you sweetie," she added, smiling at Yachi. "I'll call down one of the nurses to lead you to your friend's room, but only three of you are allowed in at once."

The boys agreed to the terms, and as they waited for their guide, they decided the groups.

Daichi, Hinata, and Kageyama were the first group. Then it was Suga, Tanaka, and Noya.
Then it was Kuroo, Ennoshita, and Kenma.
The last two were Tsukki and Yachi. Suga offered to go in too, but Tsukki shook his head. Yachi just shrugged, looking pale.

Suga took Tsukki aside, lagging back as the group followed their guide who had just arrived, a man in blue scrubs.

"Do you want to see Tadashi?" Suga asked gently, and Tsukki stared at the floor, the bright lights reflecting off the tile.

"I guess so. I mean, I kind of have to," Tsukki said, then looked up to catch sight of Suga's confused glance.
"I'll be a worse friend than I already am if I don't go in," Tsukki explained, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Oh- Kei," Suga said sympathetically. "You're not a bad friend. It's okay to not want to see Yamaguchi-"

"Thank you for asking. I'll go in." Tsukki cut off Suga, speeding up a bit. He could hear Suga's faint sigh behind him.

——————————————————————

"Here we are! Tadashi Yamaguchi, right?" the nurse declared, stopping in front of a closed door. Daichi nodded, and the man opened the door, slipping inside before the first three.

Kuroo flopped onto one of the seats, and the other four were immediately claimed by Tanaka, Ennoshita, and Noya. Suga stood by the door. Yachi sat on the floor, fiddling with her zipper on her jacket.

Tsukki leaned against the wall, watching as Kuroo reached out and grabbed Kenma, pulling the small setter to sit on him.

Kenma didn't complain, just pulled out some sort of video game, becoming absorbed as Kuroo wrapped his arms around him.

Tsukki didn't know how long Daichi and the other two spent in there, but when they came out, Daichi had an arm wrapped around Hinata who looked like he'd been crying. Even Kageyama looked a bit upset.

"All right," Suga said softly, gesturing to Tanaka and Noya. Everyone had agreed that Suga was the only one who could handle those two alone.

Noya looked pale, and Tanaka nudged him forward into the room.

Suga closed the door behind them.

——————————————————————

Kuroo, Kenma, and Ennoshita trailed out of the room after what seemed like only two minutes.

"Are you ready, Kei? Yachi?" Daichi asked.

"Are you sure you don't want one of us to come?" Suga insisted anxiously, touching Tsukki's shoulder.

"I'm ready, and yes I'm sure," Tsukki responded flatly.

Yachi nodded nervously, and Hinata gave her a small side-hug, and she blushed.

"I'll wait out here for you two," Suga said. "The rest of you can wait outside."

Hinata was the first to leave, pale, eyes watery.

——————————————————————

Tsukki opened the door, letting Yachi through, and then closing it with a soft click behind him.

The nurse was still in there, and he waved to Tsukki and Yachi, then gestured to the bed in the middle of the room.

The room looked so different in daylight. It was still empty and lonely, but somehow seemed less like it was crowded with ghosts.

Tsukki could see the poster, colorful and chaotic, taped above Yamaguchi.

Cautiously he approached his friend, bracing himself.

But Yamaguchi looked almost fine.

He had a few bandages, but his skin was clean, and he looked comfortable.

The only problem was that he was unconscious. The heart monitor beeped steadily, and it quickly faded into the background as a humming filled Tsukki's ears.

He sat down heavily in the seat by Yamaguchi's bed, putting his head in his hands. He could tell that the nurse was trying to keep busy, avoiding looking at Tsukki, and he was grateful.

"Is it okay if I leave for a moment?"

Tsukki was startled at the voice, but looked up and nodded at the nurse, and when he opened the door, Tsukki caught a glimpse of Suga.

Then the door shut again, and time seemed to be frozen.

It was just Tsukki. Just Tsukki, by himself, by his unconscious friend, the only sounds a ticking clock and beeping monitor.
And Yamaguchi's breathing.

Tsukki could hear it now.

It was quiet, but comforting and familiar.

And it hit Tsukki hard.

And then he heard sniffling. He turned to look at Yachi, who had a hand over her mouth and was staring at Yamaguchi, tears trailing down her cheeks. Tsukki swallowed, realizing he had forgotten she was there.

"I can't believe that's really him," Yachi whispered, and then she sat in the chair beside Tsukki.

"I know. It's... hard." Tsukki was surprised at how desperately he wanted to comfort Yachi.

"I want to believe he's going to be okay, though," Tsukki confessed, and Yachi looked up at him, then pressed her sleeves to her wet cheeks.

"I want to believe that too."

So, Tsukki and Yachi sat in silence, neither truly believing their words.

Sorry abt the irregular posting!!! School has started up again and damnnnnnn...

w h y