part 9

SORRY AGAIN super short, but short and sweet ig? We're almost done!!!! Woohoo! Also school is being a bitch rn... I'm already behind in half my classes so writing is now either my escape or my doom.
Anyways, enjoy!!!!

Maybe you couldn't exactly call it a plan... more of a vague idea of some speech he would give.

Tsukki didn't do anything during practice. He just sat and thought.

He hated it, not being prepared, but he had to try.

Tsukki also hated one more thing.

"Hey- um. Hey, everyone?" Tsukki mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck.
Daichi glanced at him, then shouted for everyone to gather around.

"What did you want to say, Tsukishima?"

"I- I need your guys help."

——————————————————————

Tsukki waved to the nurse at the front desk, and she smiled kindly.

He's visited only a couple other times since his first time, but she was chill enough to let him and a somewhat familiar group of boys through.

Tsukki led the way to Yamaguchi's room, Yachi grabbed Tsukki's sleeve, and he turned to her, startled. She'd warmed up to Tsukki ever since they had visited Yamaguchi.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" she asked nervously. Guess she didn't completely trust him yet.

"Well, it's definitely not a good idea, but we have to do something, don't we?" Suga put in, and Daichi flicked the bit of hair that always stood straight up on his head.

Tsukki ignored the rustling and shoving behind him as Suga attempted to attack Daichi but Asahi stepped in between them.

Very responsible third-years, aren't they?

Tsukki opened the door to Yamaguchi's room to see Yamaguchi's parents crying at Yamaguchi's side.

"K-Kei! We didn't think you would come," Yamaguchi's mom said, dabbing a tissue at her eyes.

"And you brought the team," Yamaguchi's father observed.

"I did. Because we need to tell you something-" Tsukki started, and then he realized...

The room was too quiet.

There was no whirring of machines.

Panic pressed in on all sides of Tsukki and he ran to Yamaguchi's side.

"You didn't-" Tsukki gasped, chest restricting.

Yamaguchi's mom only cried harder.

——————————————————————

Tsukki collapsed to his knees, staring sightlessly at the white blanket, forehead pressing against the bed.

His fingers found Yamaguchi's.

He wove his fingers through his friend's cold, still ones.

Tsukki didn't know if the world was still spinning.

Maybe other people's worlds were.

Not his.

It had come to a horribly jarring stop, throwing Tsukki into space, existing in an endless sky of blackness.

An endless sky where no stars shone to comfort him.

He couldn't breathe.

His brain couldn't work.

Only his heart could feel.
And could hurt.
And could cry.
And could beat hard in his chest, as ice slowly spread out over every inch of his skin, chilling his blood.

He could hear someone sobbing, someone besides Yamaguchi's parents, probably Hinata or Yachi.

Tsukki wouldn't cry, though. He already knew that.

He would just hate himself for the rest of his life, for not getting there in time.
Tsukki didn't know how much time had passed in silence, but gradually
he realized

the heartbeat he could feel in his fingers
wasn't his.

WoRdS: 534