[ CHAPTER THREE, darling ]

DARLING
montell fish

fighting on, and on, and on,
and on, and on, and on,
for what?

please don't run away from me

"OKAY SO WHAT are we getting?" Arlo asked as her and Matt walked aimlessly side by side in the nearly deserted grocery store.

The car ride there was one of the most awkward things Arlo thinks she's ever endured. The first five minutes the two sat in utter silence, Arlo peeking glances at Matt every now and then, while Matt just kept his eyes on the road with an unreadable expression.

Not that Arlo was complaining. He was driving after all. It would be weird if he was paying more attention to her instead of the road.

But she still wanted him to look at her. At least once.

"We're filming a baking video, I think." Matt mumbled as he sped up his walking pace, feeling a bit too close to the girl for his own comfort. "We'll probably get a few different things- just so the kid won't have an aneurysm if I get the wrong one."

That made Arlo laugh.

Matt almost stopped waking all together when he heard her soft giggles and her repeat the word 'aneurysm' to herself from behind him as they made their way down the baking isle.

He almost smiled.

"Ooh! Should we get this?" Arlo exclaimed, picking up a box of brookie mix and looking at Matt with pure excitement.

He stared at the girl blankly.

"No."

Matt turned back around reaching for the brownie mix, but not before he noticed the way her smile fell and she reluctantly placed the brookie mix back in its original place on the shelves. The boy ignored it, placing the brownie mix into the basket, as well as the cupcake and cookie dough mix.

The two strolled up and down the isles, looking for anything else they might need. Both knowing they probably had everything they needed in the basket, but neither saying anything.

They walked past the dairy section, neither grabbing anything. They walked past the fruit, neither grabbing anything. The dessert section... neither grabbing anything.

They walked up and down quite literally every single isle before mutually deciding they were done with this trip and headed back to check out, stopping for a few soda's of course. Matt, grabbing a few drinks for his brothers and himself, while Arlo grabbed a Vanilla Cream and Dr. Pepper for herself and Alahna.

"That's disgusting." Matt said, looking down grossly at the Vanilla soda in her hand. This caused Arlo to scoff.

"You're literally delusional. This tastes a thousand times better than- what is that? Root beer?"

Matt walked up as they were next in line to check out. "And you say I'm delusional."

Arlo shook her head softly with a smile, placing her drink onto the belt. She stood there, watching Matt place the remainder of the items, when suddenly her eyes cause a glimpse of something.