[ CHAPTER TWELVE, bambi ]

bambi
clairo

clearing your throat
while i count to three
keep hold of my hand
we both know i can leave

SNOW AND ICE had covered the small Boston town Arlo called home. It wasn't unusual for the streets to be covered in inches of snow but today was different. Sometimes when the whether is just right, the streets freeze over with the right about of ice than you can slide down it.

For cars and anyone driving some sort of vehicle, this was a horrible thing. It was avoided often but wasn't a huge worry considering it hadn't happened often. Arlo figured it was pretty shitty timing considering it first appeared Christmas Eve night and now bled into Christmas Day.

But that didn't apply to the Sturniolo household.

When Arlo woke up this morning, the last thing she would've expected was to receive yet another phone call— this time coming from Chris— practically screaming about how she just had to come over and skate down the streets with them.

Yes, skate down the streets.

For the majority of highschool, Chris and Matt were on the hockey team— which meant they were basically pros at skating.

The only experience Arlo had in skating was when her and Nick lost a bet in the eighth grade and had to join the hockey team. Nick later on found that he hated it and ended up quitting— which led to Arlo following suit.

It's not like the team lost her as a valuable player. Every time she stepped on the rink she inevitably fell on her ass without fail. The girl was genuinely surprised she hadn't broken any bones from the damage she suffered that year of being on the ice.

Nevertheless, Arlo was a people pleaser no matter who it came to. Careful not to wake her mom, she grabbed her skates from deep within her closet and ties the laces onto her backpack, before throwing in their presents she got them and made her way to the Sturniolo household.

Arlo's mother never celebrated Christmas because she said it was against her religious beliefs and no one ever questioned her. Though as tough as her mother was on her, she never forced her religion onto her daughter.

So if the girl ever felt like it, she would allowed to celebrate the holiday with her friends if their families allowed it— and the Sturniolo's always did.

Due to the streets being in the condition they were, Arlo didn't drive— for obvious reasons. The walk from her house to their's wasn't a short one, but she wasn't one to complain. She enjoyed their company and they welcomed her with open arms so she would walk to distance for them, literally.

By the time she arrived, her cheeks were tinted and the tip of her nose had gone pink. Her lashes held a few scattered snowflakes but they didn't bother her much. Preparing to knock on the door, it had swung open before her knuckles could make contact with the wood, leaving her arm in the empty air.

"What are you— crazy? What are you in the cold for? Get inside!" Chris practically screeches as he yanked her arm aggressively and pulled her inside.

"You said we were going skating." She shot him an exasperated expression.

"Uh, yeah," he agreed, like it was the most obvious thing in the world, "later. But we have to open presents first."