Prologue

Ryden James was alone.

She grew up without parents, bouncing from foster home to foster home. She never knew her parents names or what they looked like, only that her father kicked the bucket before she was born and that her mother only lived long enough to give her a first name before she too was claimed by death.

Making friends was something Ryden struggled with, another reason she was so fucking lonely. People did not like Ryden; Ryden did not like people, it was a whole ordeal that Ryden could not explain. People avoided her like the plague, and the girl herself found fictional characters more enjoyable than real people.

The Vampire Diaries was the first fictional universe the girl became infatuated with, The Originals following soon after. She had watched every episode of each series over and over again. If you asked her she could probably recite an entire episode from fucking memory, acting it out and everything.

Ryden would have done anything, anything, to become a part of the universe. More specifically The Mikaelson family. She had fallen in love with them as soon as they appeared in The Vampire Diaries in season two and three. She knew that they deserved more than what the damn directors and writers gave them in the shows.

Ryden wished that she could change things for the Mikaelsons. Keeping Kol and Finn alive during season three and four of The Vampire Diaries, Elijah and Niklaus in season five of The Originals. She found all of their deaths unnecessary, but she was biased.

When she wasn't fantasizing about fictional universes, the fourteen year old was working. Yes, Ryden had a job. She had to pay for her Netflix subscription somehow. She worked at a diner in the town where she currently resided, approximately a fifteen minute walk from her foster home.

Nora and Henry Smith were the owners of the diner Ryden worked at. The elderly couple adored the young girl and were the closest thing she ever got to parental figures. In the six months that Ryden worked at the diner, she gained some of the best memories of her life.

Then, Ryden got the news that she was moving again.

She was not happy with the revelation at all.

The day she found out, she decided to let Nora and Henry know. When she told them, they both cried, which in turn made Ryden cry. She had no desire to leave the elder couple who had been nothing but kind to her. Something Ryden was not used to.

After the tears were shed and hugs were shared between the trio, Ryden had to go. "I can never thank you enough for what you have done for me. I will forever be grateful for both of you." Ryden's words hung in the air as she walked out the door of the diner into the pitch black of the outdoors.

The darkness made Ryden curse. She knew she was going to be in trouble with her foster family for being out past curfew, but she could not find it in herself to care. Ryden walked down the street slowly. The girl wanted time to think about what was going to happen next.

These were the times when she wanted to leave this awful world behind and start new somewhere else. Little did she know...

Ryden was so engrossed in her thoughts, she did not realize that someone had been following her since she left the diner. She continued to stare at the ground lost in thought. Before the girl could register what was happening, she was grabbed and pulled into an alleyway. Ryden tried to scream, but the sound was muffled by a hand. She fought and struggled to the best of her ability, but her best was not good enough.