I.VII

Athens, Greece

June 9th, 2005

Niklaus Mikaelson considered himself blessed. He thanked every Norse god that he worshiped as a small child, and whatever other gods could possibly exist, for giving him the family that he had.

His partner, now fiancé, who accepted him and his faults, who knew what he was like at his worst moments, and despite what his brother did to him, gave him a second chance.

His brothers who, even if they caused him to have migraines every other day, which should be impossible for a vampire, loved his daughter to the ends of the universe and back. Who would burn the world down for her, and fell victim to her ruthless puppy dog eyes. Who supported him after everything that he had done to them, still loved him.

But most importantly, his daughter. The one who made him grow as a man, which was something he never imagined he would be capable of. The one who spent countless hours with him painting, the youngest having so much skill that it rivaled his own. The one who would make up dance routines to songs that he liked and spent days teaching her uncles and forcing them to perform with her. The one who spent time making songs that told the story of both of her fathers' love. How they met, how time forced them apart, and how they came back together.

He loved her for every single thing that she did. For breathing, for smiling, for laughing, for her terrible winks.

He loved how perfect she made his life.

Niklaus should have known that nothing can ever be truly perfect, and that nothing good lasts forever.

Athens, Greece

June 22, 2005

"Daddy it hurts!"

"Make it stop!"

"Shhhh little wolf, you're doing so well. It will be over soon. Don't fight it."

"Niklaus, you need to step back. I've got her, I promise. She might lash out if you stay here."

Athens, Greece