Was it worth it?

I heard the sweet melody that Mom was singing as she swept around the clinic. It felt like I had heard this tune 2,000 times since Mom had heard it on the radio.

I heard the shuffling and clicking of the medicine cabinets and I knew it was 12:00pm, the same time that Mom had been doing my medicine since I got stuck here.

Even though he had no way of knowing if I was conscious, Dad had explained what each medicine did. Follistatin, Retinyl Palmitate, Morphine, and Deferiprone.

The bottles clinked on the table. 1, 2, 3, 4.

5?

I could tell from the way it hit the table, it was small and glass. Not like the others. Mom start singing another tune, 'You are my sunshine'. It was much more upbeat than songs she had previously sung.

I felt the IV tube rub against my arm as she injected the medicines one by one. She had always done them in the same order, but now with the new one added in, I couldn't be sure which was which.

I felt confused about this new drug that I wasn't aware of and frustrated that I couldn't stop her from putting it in my body.

I felt like flailing and crying as she messed up my routine, but you couldn't tell from my assisted breathing that had been going in the same pace as the day I was put here.

She continued to hum as she put the bottles back away in their places. She opened the blinds and the light flooded in from through my eyelids. The radio clicked on and then her footsteps started fade as she went up the stairs.

'Put your head on my shoulder' played softly as birds sang outside the clinic window.

I laid unmoving, singing along to the song in my head.

Something suddenly felt wrong. Something in my room had changed, I could always tell when something in my surroundings was wrong. I listened for a second before realizing, my breathing machine had stopped humming.

But I was still breathing. Now I was confused. I was breathing on my own, but how?

I took a deeper breath in. If I could control that, what else could I do? I moved my tongue in my mouth. My arms and legs started to tingle. 

Holy shit.

My fingers twitched and now I was getting excited. I pried my eyes open.

Fuck.

I was seeing. For the first time in what felt like forever. I was actually seeing. I looked around the room in awe. The stereo on the table, the tree planted outside the window, even the bruise surrounding the needle in my arm was gorgeous.

I sat up. Thank God Dad had thought about preserving my muscles.

I tried to talk but nothing came out. That makes sense, I guess. I haven't spoken or drank water in days. Or months? I wasn't sure, I had lost track of time a long time ago.

I looked around the room, my eyes landing on the silver pan on the wheeled table. I reached over, careful not to fall off the bed, and smacked it off with as much force as I could, which was a lot more than I anticipated.