Happy Death Day

It was nearly lunchtime and as Y/N had none to eat, refusing Hagrid's treacle fudge, he was keen to go back to school to eat. They said good-bye to Hagrid and walked backup to the castle, Ron hiccoughing occasionally, but only bringing up two very small slugs. 

They had barely set foot in the cool entrance hall when a voice rang out, "There you are, Potter — Weasley." Professor McGonagall was walking toward them, looking stern. "You will both do your detentions this evening."

"What're we doing, Professor?" said Ron, nervously suppressing a burp.

"You will be polishing the silver in the trophy room with Mr. Filch," said Professor McGonagall. "And no magic, Weasley — elbow grease."

Ron gulped. 

"And you, Potter, will be helping Professor Lockhart answer his fan mail," said Professor McGonagall.

"Oh n — Professor, can't I go and do the trophy room, too?" said Harry desperately. 

"Certainly not," said Professor McGonagall, raising her eyebrows. "Professor Lockhart requested you particularly. Eight o'clock sharp, both of you."

Y/N sucked his teeth and gave Harry a pat on the back. "Tough luck, my friend. An evening with Lockhart, I'd rather be in the Forbidden Forest again."

Harry and Ron slouched into the Great Hall in states of deepest gloom, Hermione behind them, wearing a well-you-did-break-school-rules sort of expression. Y/N had never seemed more chipper, walking with a spring in his step.

"Filch'll have me there all night," said Ron heavily. "No magic! There must be about a hundred cups in that room. I'm no good at Muggle cleaning."

"I'd swap anytime," said Harry hollowly. "I've had loads of practice with the Dursleys. Answering Lockhart's fan mail... he'll be a nightmare..."

"Remember when I said I wished I'd have came with you two in the car? I lied." Y/N teased, so gleeful that he rivaled Peeves.

~~~

October arrived, spreading a damp chill over the grounds and into the castle. Madam Pomfrey, the nurse, was kept busy by a sudden spate of colds among the staff and students. Her Pepperup potion worked instantly, though it left the drinker smoking at the ears for several hours afterward. Ginny Weasley, who had been looking pale, was bullied into taking some by Percy. The steam pouring from under her vivid hair gave the impression that her whole head was on fire. Raindrops the size of bullets thundered on the castle windows for days on end; the lake rose, the flower beds turned into muddy streams, and Hagrid's pumpkins swelled to the size of garden sheds. Oliver Wood's enthusiasm for regular training sessions, however, was not dampened, which was why Y/N was to be found, more often than not, drenched to the skin and splattered with mud. 

"A deathday party?" said Hermione keenly when Harry had changed at last and joined her and Ron in the common room. "I bet there aren't many living people who can say they've been to one of those — it'll be fascinating!"

"Why would anyone want to celebrate the day they died?" said Ron, who was halfway through his Potions homework and grumpy. "Sounds dead depressing to me..."

"But... All of that good food we'd be missing out on, Harry!" Y/N groaned. "It'd be a shame to miss out on the Halloween feast!"

"Is that all your worried about?" Hermione said disapprovingly. "Is a bit of food?"

"Are you kidding me?, Hermione it's the third best feast of the year, food that good doesn't come around often! Honestly, 'A bit of food', You've gone mad I tell you."