The End of Tom Riddle (And The School Year)

"Yes!" Tom Riddle egged. "Kill him!"

Y/N's hands tightened around Harry's throat. 

"No—" Harry choked. 

Harry was struggling against Y/N, weakly hitting Y/N. 

"No!" Ginny cried, seemingly breaking free from Riddle and running to Harry.

"Stop, girl!" Tom said, casting a spell with Harry's wand and sending Ginny to the floor, unconscious.

Y/N's grip on Harry loosened slightly, just enough for air to flow. 

"Y/N, please." Harry struggled. "It's me — Harry." 

Y/N's eyes became noticeably clearer, his grip loosened even more. Harry's pleas were getting through to him.

"I'm you're friend, Y/N. Ginny's hurt, she needs our help."

Y/N's hands gripped his head and he stumbled around. 

"Fight it, Y/N. We need to stop Riddle! Ron's relying on us, Hermione'll be in danger if we don't do anything!"

Harry's monologue did the trick, Y/N had lowered his hands from his head and looked around, dazed. 

"Harry, I — I didn't mean to..."

"It's all right," Harry said, getting to his feet. "We have to stop Riddle, Y/N."

"Yeah," Y/N said, turning and facing Tom Riddle.

"You two, stop me?" Riddle laughed. "I'd li—"

He was cut off.

Music was coming from somewhere. Riddle whirled around to stare down the empty Chamber. The music was growing louder. It was eerie, spine-tingling, unearthly. Then, as the music reached such a pitch that Y/N felt it vibrating inside his own ribs, flames erupted at the top of the nearest pillar. 

 A crimson bird the size of a swan had appeared, piping its weird music to the vaulted ceiling. It had a glittering golden tail as long as a peacock's and gleaming golden talons, which were gripping a ragged bundle. A second later, the bird was flying straight at Harry. It dropped the ragged thing it was carrying at his feet, then landed heavily on his shoulder. As it folded its great wings, Harry looked up and saw it had a long, sharp golden beak and a beady black eye. 

 The bird stopped singing. It sat still and warm next to Harry's cheek, gazing steadily at Riddle. 

"Fawkes?" Harry breathed.

 Riddle began to laugh. He laughed so hard that the dark chamber rang with it, as though ten Riddles were laughing at once. 

"This is what Dumbledore sends his defenders! A songbird and an old hat! Do you feel brave, Harry Potter? Do you feel safe now?"

Y/N was silent, waiting for an opportunity. 

"Twice — in your past, in my future — we have met. And twice I failed to kill you. How did you survive? Tell me everything. The longer you talk," he added softly, "the longer you stay alive."

"No one knows why you lost your powers when you attacked me," said Harry abruptly. "I don't know myself. But I know why you couldn't kill me. Because my mother died to save me. My common Muggle-born mother," he added. "She stopped you killing me. And I've seen the real you, I saw you last year. You're a wreck. You're barely alive. That's where all your power got you. You're in hiding. You're ugly, you're foul —"

"Expelliarmus!" Y/N yelled.

The spell flew right though Riddle and bounced off of the chamber walls before dissipating.