Chapter 4. When Life Gives You Lemons

Y/N was in the living room perched on the couch, the cushion sinking under her weight slightly. She was watching the news on TV, or as Michael calls it, "The Telly"
Sometimes she found it interesting what words he used, or the slang he picked up from his childhood in Britain, and how different it was from her own.

Michael was outside mowing the lawn. It was a nice day out, however the sun was pretty harsh. He made sure to wear sunscreen while he was outside, and only due to Y/N nagging about the importance of it. He didn't tan as much as he did when he was younger. He was quite dark compared to the rest of his pale family, he spent the most time outside. But now that he's gotten older, he found himself almost as pale as they were.

The day was young, and Y/N felt herself seemingly fuse into the couch. Like your bed in the early mornings, you didn't want to leave it. She slowly hoisted herself up, lazily rubbing her eyes, she knew she should get up and wait for Michael. He was almost done mowing the lawn, and she knew he would want to visit.

"Local man Michael Afton was spotted today working at Circus Baby Pizza World..!"

The TV caught Y/N's attention, making her perk up. Hearing your long-term boyfriend's name on TV tends to wake you up a bit. There was a newscaster sitting at a desk with some notes in his hands. The man was in his mid-thirties with greying brown hair and a clean-cut suit. Y/N peers over at the back door from her position on the couch, upon looking through the glass Michael was still outside mowing. She knew she shouldn't but that pesky curiosity of hers got the best of her.

She turned up the volume on the TV slightly wanting to hear what they were going to say about Michael, she assumed it was normal things. As normal as the things said about Michael could be. But it was worth listening to, besides Michael was outside what was the harm.

"...The doors of the animatronic rental service were locked. When reporters here at Channel 107 tried peering in through the windows they spotted Mr. Afton working on his latest project. What that project is, will remain unknown. Residents alike all pray that Mr. Afton's creations won't play a role in a major tragedy...Will history repeat itself? Channel 107 is working on finding the answers."

Y/N felt her face go hot with annoyance. The only thing that reports stated, besides an invasion of privacy, was that Michael simply did his job. Just because he makes animatronics himself doesn't mean anything. God she felt angry for Michael, she couldn't imagine how he was feeling about this.

The sound of the back door opening made Y/N perk up and turn off the TV, not wanting Michael to hear any of the broadcast. She didn't want a repeat of the last time she dug her nose in the publicity of Michael.
"Love? I'm done mowing, are you in the living room?" Michael calls from the kitchen.
Y/N stands up and greets him in the entryway between the kitchen and living room, "Hey there handsome," she smiles, she was going to pretend as if she didn't watch the broadcast earlier.

She wraps an arm around his waist and gives him a kiss on the cheek, "It's getting hot out there, are you okay?" she puts her hand on his forehead to feel his temperature.
"I'm fine, love, but thanks for the concern," he smiles slightly and stretches, "I'll be fine once I can get these sweaty clothes off."

Michael slips his shirt off and chucks it on the floor, earning an "Are you serious" look from Y/N. He gets the hint and picks it back up,
"Sorry," he mutters before hanging it over the back of a kitchen chair, destined to be put in the laundry later. Even in his adulthood, Michael is the same rambunctious teenager he was, the same one to leaves dirty laundry on the floor of his bedroom. His mom would always lecture him about his habits.

"Are you thirsty? We have lemonade in the fridge," Y/N turns on her heels and heads towards the fridge.
"Jesus yes," the now shirtless Michael says, following Y/N and leaning against the kitchen counter.  Y/N pours Michael a glass of lemonade, it was a tall glass with ice in it. She felt the need to spoil him a bit after he did yard work all day. She hands it to him with a smile, one that was returned by Michael.

"Thanks," he says taking a sip.
Y/N hops on the counter next to where he is leaning and lays her head on his shoulder. Michael glances over at her, his expression slightly shifted at her sudden change in vibe. After a long moment of comfortable silence, Y/N speaks up.

"Hey, Michael?" she says without looking at him, her head never abandoning the spot on his shoulder.
"Yes, love?" he stares down at his glass of lemonade.
"You know the saying, 'when life gives you lemons?'." her voice seemed slightly bittersweet.
"Of course I do, why?" Michael had his eyebrows furrowed, slightly confused by the randomness of the conversation.

"When life gives you lemons, meaning when life throws bad stuff at you, you turn it into something better, something that makes you happy. Like lemonade?"
"...Yes Y/N I know what the phrase means." Michael narrows his eyes at her, "I'm not stupid, love,"

"Never said you were," she looks over at him finally, "I just thought maybe that could mean something more to you." Y/N hops off the counter and sighs, "Michael, when life gives you lemons, just make some lemonade, for my sake. I worry about you."

Michael kept staring down at his lemonade, puzzled by what she meant by that. He looks up at her with a confused expression written all over his face.
"Alright...I will..." he trails off, not even knowing what she meant.

Y/N smiles, "Thank you..."