Chapter 4

Her promise had been broken

Her promise had been broken. Lenore had told herself she'd never come back, and yet here she was, standing in her mother's front yard, glaring up at the house. It had been several weeks since her grandmother's funeral, and in that time, a lot had changed.

Behind her, her father emerged from the back of the Tesla with a grunt. He had two oversized purple suitcases gripped tightly in each hand. The suitcases were shiny and new. Lenore had bought them for the move to San Francisco, but now...

"Dad," Lenore said, rushing to his side. "Let me help you!"

"Don't worry about it," her dad huffed as he dropped them on the bit of lawn that ran parallel to the driveway. "I've got it. That's the last of it, anyway."

"I can still help you carry them up to the house—"

"Lenore," came her mother's voice.

The hairs on the back of her neck prickled, and Lenore whipped around.

Her mother was standing on the porch, watching them. She had a heavy-knit cardigan wrapped around her to keep out the early autumn chill.

"What now?" Lenore snapped, shooting her a sharp glare.

Her mother was unfazed. "You heard your father," she said. "He's got it. He can bring the rest of the bags up to your room. Why don't you come inside and start getting settled?"

"No thanks." Lenore turned her back to her. "I want to help." Really, she wanted to spend as much time with her father—and away from her mother—as possible, even if it was only a few measly minutes.

Her mother didn't say anything, but Lenore heard the snap of the screen door as she went back inside. Her mother wasn't going to stick around and argue.

Her dad gave her a dad-look. "I know you're angry with her," he said, wiping sweat from his brow, "but you really shouldn't make this more difficult for yourself."

"Who's making it difficult?" she scoffed. "She's the one who ruined my life."

He sighed. "Fighting her will only make things worse."

"Worse?" Lenore echoed with a sharp, harsh laugh. "How could things possibly get any worse?" Not wanting to stick around for her dad's rebuttal, she grabbed the closest suitcase and began hauling it toward the white house.

Thankfully, her father didn't say anything. He just took the other bag and followed after her.

Inside, her mother was waiting for them. She was leaning against the bannister, still wrapped tightly in the cardigan. Lenore realized that it wasn't much warmer in here than it had been outside. She had forgotten how drafty the house got.

Her mother watched her with careful eyes, tilting her head as if she was studying some undiscovered creature. Lenore marched over to her mom and dropped the heavy bag down right in front of her, narrowly missing her foot. Her mom stepped back and frowned, taken aback. Lenore only glared back in response.