Chapter 24

Another knock came, harder this time

Lenore and Victor stood frozen, staring at the front door through the hallway that led from the kitchen to the foyer. The old door was original to the house, thick and solid, but it had no windows or even a peephole to sneak a glance at whoever was standing on the doorstep. Lenore debated going to the living room and peeking out the big picture window that overlooked the front yard, but that wasn't exactly stealthy; there was a good chance whoever was at the door would see her, too.

Yet another knock rattled at the door.

"Is... Is it your mom?" Victor asked, his voice low and shaking.

"Why would my mom knock on her own door?" Lenore asked back.

"Who else could it be?"

Lenore didn't have an answer for that. Her mother may have taken a risk to set out in this weather, but she at least had a good reason. Who else would be foolish enough to be wandering around in the storm?

Did they have a good reason, too?

The knocking started again, louder than ever.

Whoever was out there was determined.

"Are you going to get that?" Victor said though he winced at the idea.

Lenore swallowed hard. "I... I don't know."

"Maybe it's someone who needs help," Victor said before his voice shifted into something more hopeful. "Or someone who could help us."

Lenore just looked at Victor, her face tense with apprehension. Could it be someone stranded in the storm and looking for help? Only her house wasn't exactly close to any main roads. If someone was that close, they had to be coming here for a purpose.

Then maybe it was someone official—like the police. That sent a different kind of twisting through Lenore's guts. Though she had promised Victor she'd get him help, she couldn't fight the feeling that the police would be anything but. Victor's sudden reappearance might prove her innocence, but his strange new look would only raise more questions... and suspicions.

"Maybe," Lenore said at last. Even she could hear the doubt that coloured her voice. Something deep in her gut told her that whoever was at the door would be no help at all...

Another pounding knock shook the house.

Either way, it didn't seem like they were going to let up.

She had to answer.

Lenore squared her shoulders and shoved at Victor, pushing him towards the bench that was built into the bay window, out of view of the door.

"Stay here," Lenore said, her voice firm, "and stay out of sight."

"Why?" Victor asked.

"Trust me," Lenore said. "It's just until I see who it is. I'll call for you once I figure out... once I figure out if it's safe."