Chapter 7

Opening her eyes, Lenore looked up just in time to see someone grab Reese's shoulder and wrench him back

Opening her eyes, Lenore looked up just in time to see someone grab Reese's shoulder and wrench him back. Reese stumbled, almost falling, but regained his footing in time. He swivelled around, red-faced and furious, his fists clenched in rage, glaring at the newcomer.

"Big mistake, new kid," Reese snarled, then he charged.

The newcomer didn't run. He placed himself between Lenore and the rampaging moose of a teenager and stood his ground.

It took Lenore a half-second to recognize him.

It was the guy from the graveyard.

Victor.

And he was about to get his lights punched out.

"NO!" Before she knew what she was doing, Lenore was shoving past him and kicking out at Reese. She nailed him right in the shin, making Reese howl in pain and stagger back.

His rageful eyes turned on her, and he wound up—but then stopped himself and straightened up, like he knew he couldn't get away with hitting a girl, at least not in front of witnesses. Victor pulled her back behind him.

"You're making a mistake, new kid," he said, pointing at Lenore as she peered around Victor's arm. "Don't you know who this is?"

"Yeah, I do," Victor said, unphased.

Reese looked taken aback, and it took him a moment to respond, like he couldn't comprehend someone not being disgusted by her presence. "But do you know who her family is?" he asked. "What they've done?"

Victor shrugged like he wasn't interested.

"Haven't you heard the rumours?" Reese said, scowling.

"I don't give a shit about rumours," Victor said, staring Reese down.

Reese's scowl deepened for a moment before breaking into an unsettling grin as his gaze moved between the two of them. "Whatever, dude," he said. "Befriend the freak. It's your funeral."

He backed away from them, swaggering like he'd won the fight, and exited out the side door. "You're lucky I've already got two strikes!" she shouted as the door closed behind him, and then he disappeared around a corner.

"Damn," Victor muttered under his breath. "What the hell is his problem?"

Lenore sighed. She knew exactly what his problem was, but she didn't want to explain it. Especially after Victor said he didn't care about rumours... She snuck a glance at him.

Victor was still staring out the side door as if he was watching to see if Reese might double back. But he must have felt her gaze on him because he looked down at her.

"I was wondering what happened to you!" he said. A smile spread across his face, showing off his dimples.

"Huh?" Lenore sputtered. She averted her eyes. "What? Why?"