6

Around Father's Day, I wasn't in a particularly good mood, since my father simply left one day when I was little and never came back. I never really liked the holiday since then, and I was usually in a bad mood around Father's Day. Despite that, I always got something for Tori's dad, David, since he had been like the father I never had. I was just about to text Tori about planning a date on Monday when I got a phone call from a number that I didn't recognize, and I accidentally hit the answer icon. "Hello?" I asked. "Hello. I'm looking for Jade West," a male voice asked on the other end of the line. "Speaking," I said. "I was wondering if we could get lunch together today and catch up," he said. "Uh... I don't know who you are..." I said apprehensively. "I suppose, it has been nearly ten years," he said, almost like an offhand comment. "Ten years since what, exactly?" I asked. "Ten years since I last saw you," he said. "This isn't funny. How did you get my number?" I asked. "I asked a friend of yours. Beck, I think it was," he said. I didn't say anything for a few moments, because I was trying to remember my father, mostly how he talked. The more I contemplated it, the more I began to realize that I really was talking to my father. "Sure. Should we meet up at like The Boxwood Café or something?" I asked, since that place was pretty close to where I lived, and I had gone there on a few dates with Tori. "That sounds like a plan. See you in a bit," he said, hanging up.

I texted Tori and planned a date for Monday, and I told her that I wanted to talk to her sometime this afternoon, face-to-face, which she was fine with. I went to the restaurant to wait for my dad to show up, and it wasn't long before he got there and found me. "Hi Jade. How are you?" He asked. "I'm fine, you?" I asked. "Not bad. It's good to see you again," he said with a warm smile. "It's nice to see you too," I said. We talked about how I was doing at school, that sort of thing, and then the topic of relationships came up. I remembered that my father was rather conservative and set in his ways, and I knew that he wouldn't approve of me dating Tori. "Well, I have found someone..." I said. "So, who is he?" He asked me. "Um... about that... I'm not going out with a guy..." I said, rubbing the back of my neck nervously. "I don't understand what you mean," he said, looking a bit confused. "Dad, you remember Tori Vega, right?" I asked. "Wasn't she your best friend?" He asked. "Yeah... the thing is, we're more than friends, Tori and me," I said, and I could see him become tense. "You know how I feel about this, Jade," he said in a dangerously calm voice. "I do, but you know what?" I asked, as he was starting to get on my nerves. "What?" He asked. "It doesn't matter what you think about my relationship. You haven't seen me since I was five! You know nothing about me!" I said. "You're still my daughter, Jade. That means something," he said. "Well, maybe it does to you, but it doesn't mean anything to me. Leave me alone," I said, getting up and leaving without another word.

I got into my car and went straight to Tori's house, even though it was earlier than we had agreed. When I got there, I didn't see her car anywhere, so I decided to call her. "Hey babygirl. What's up?" She asked. "Where are you?" I asked. "I'm at the mall, why?" She asked. "Because I really need to talk to you. I know that it's earlier than we planned, but I got done earlier than I expected," I said. "Okay. Wanna meet up at your house, since it's closer to where I am?" She asked. "Yeah, and I think it'll be easier to talk to you at my house because I'll be more comfortable," I said. "Okay. Hang in there, babygirl. I'll see you soon," she said. "See you soon, boo," I replied. I hung up and went back to my house to wait for her.

When Tori got to my house, I was really nervous, and I didn't know why. "What's up?" She asked when she came in. "You might want to sit down for this," I said, and she sat down beside me. "Okay, talk to me," she said. "My dad called me this morning and asked if I wanted to get lunch with him and catch up a little," I said. "Okay. I don't remember your dad, honestly," she said. "That's probably for the better," I said simply. "What do you mean?" She asked me. "Well, everything was going well until he brought up the topic of relationships. My dad is very conservative and set in his ways. He's also kind of old-fashioned. He believes that a woman should listen to a man, and marry a man and work around the house," I said. "Sheesh. That's nuts," she said. "Like I said, my dad is old-fashioned. Anyway, I told him, and I could feel the tension in the air. It probably could've been cut with a butter knife," I said, telling her my dad's reaction to hearing that his daughter was dating another girl. "Good on you for standing up for yourself, babygirl. That's one of the things I like about you, you're not afraid to speak your mind," she said. "Thank you for listening. I'm so lucky I can call such a kind, caring, sweet girl like you mine," I said. "I could say the same about you," Tori replied.