Quidditch - Wizarding Sport

* * *

When people think of witches and wizards, among the first things most think of is their usage of broomsticks for transportation. However, in the Harry Potter Universe, broomsticks are used for another very exciting thing - a wizarding sport that is called Quidditch. This sport is very popular amongst the Wizarding folk, similar to how football is perceived amongst muggles with its committees, competitions, and even professional teams!

How is Quidditch played?

Quidditch is played in a special Quidditch field, where three ring-shaped goals can be found on both sides of the field, which are different in height. The goal of this sport is for players to score as many goals as possible by throwing the Quaffle through the opposite team's goal hoops until the golden snitch is caught or there is a mutual agreement between the captains about the winner. Each goal is worth 10 points, while catching the golden Snitch gives a team 150 points and puts an end to the game. The small walnut-sized Snitch is the hardest to catch, and there were cases when a match lasted for days because of it!

 The small walnut-sized Snitch is the hardest to catch, and there were cases when a match lasted for days because of it!

(Quidditch field layout)

Both teams have seven players each: three Chasers, two Beaters, a Keeper, and the Seeker:

The Chasers pass the Quaffle between them and attempt to score through the other team's goal hoops.

The Beaters use bats to keep the violently interfering Bludgers away from their team and, at the same time, try and aim these Bludgers at the opposite team.

Keepers protect their own goal hoops so that the other team's Chasers can't score.

While the Seeker catches the most important ball of the game, the Golden Snitch, which gives their team 150 points, almost always leading to their victory!

Below you can find some known Harry Potter characters and their Quidditch position:

⤷ Chasers:

For Gryffindor:

James Potter

Angelina Johnson

Alica Spinnett

Dean Thomas

Katie Bell

Ginny Weasley

Rose Granger-Weasley

For Hufflepuff:

Malcolm Preece

Zacharia Smith

Ravenclaw:

Randolph Burrow

Roger Davies

Slytherin:

Adrian Pucey

Cassius Warrington

Graham Montague