The Patronus Charm

What is the Patronus Charm?

The Patronus Charm is one of the most famous and powerful defensive charms in all of the wizarding world. Remus Lupin describes the Patronus as a Dementor repellant as it acts as a shield between the caster and the Dementor, by projecting feelings like hope, happiness, and perseverance. These emotions don't serve Dementors any purpose as they feed on fear and despair. Because of what it represents, it is one of the most complex and difficult spells to cast. Most wizards can't produce a full Patronus, so those who are able to, are considered one of the more powerful wizards. Rubeus Hagrid was one wizard who was unable to cast the charm.

There are two types of Patronuses: corporeal and incorporeal. The corporeal Patronus is when a Patronus took a specific shape or form of an animal. For example, James Potter's Patronus took the form as a stag and Lily Potter's took the form as a doe. Most Patronuses take on the form of an ordinary animal. Magical creatures, like Albus Dumbledore's phoenix Patronus, were uncommon. It is also rare for Patronuses to take on the form of extinct animals. Hedley Fleetwood is the exception as his Patronus took the form of a woolly mammoth.

An incorporeal Patronus does not have a specific shape or form and may appear as vapor or smoke. This form only provides partial protection from Dementors, but is still considered an impressive feat to be able to cast.

A Patronus represents protection, but can also reveal the personality of the caster as it reveals underlying, hidden parts that the caster may try to keep hidden. For example, Remus Lupin casts a Patronus in an incorporeal form due to fear of it appearing as a wolf and that it could reveal his identity as a werewolf.

Patronus forms could change if the caster experienced some sort of psychological shock or emotional change. And example of this would be when Nymphadora Tonks' Patronus changed from a Jack Rabbit to a four-legged creature that others assumed to be a wolf, which may have reflected her love for Remus Lupin, who was a werewolf. Additionally, we see this with Severus Snape, whose Patronus is a doe like Lily Potter's, to reflect his love for Lily.

How is a Patronus Charm cast?

In order to cast a Patronus Charm, the wizard must think of the happiest memory they have. The happier the memory, the stronger the charm would be. Harry is the exception as he pictured a scenario that invoked happiness.

Next, the user must draw circles with their wand to increase the spell's power then say Expecto Patronum. Expecto Patronum translates to 'I await my guardian'. The Patronus appears at the tip of the wand and the caster must point their wand at the target they want to direct it towards.

The charm would only remain active while the caster is focused on them. If they weren't actively protecting someone, it would take on characteristics of the animal they resembled and follow their caster around.

What is the Patronus used for?

A Patronus' main use was to drive off malicious creatures like Dementors and Lethifolds as this is the only charm that would work against them. The Patronus is made of positive memories, something Dementors couldn't feed off of or manipulate.

Another use of the Patronus is communication. They could be used to send messages as they could speak with the voice of the wizard who cast the spell. For example, Minerva McGonagall used a feline Patronus in 1998 to call for help from the Heads of Houses when she found out Harry Potter returned to Hogwarts to find Rowena Ravenclaw's Diadem.

Some wizards, like Minerva McGonagall, could cast multiple Patronuses.

What are some common Patronus forms we see in the films and the books? And what are their meanings?

Some notable Patronuses, with their meanings are included below:

Harry Potter & James Potter| Stag | Meaning: Heroic and Brave

Albus Dumbledore | Phoenix | Meaning: Rebirth

Lily Potter & Severus Snape | Doe | Meaning: Love and Protection

Hermione Granger | Otter | Meaning: Curious and Friendly

Ron Weasley | Jack Russell Terrier | Meaning: Loyal and stubborn

Remus Lupin | Wolf | Meaning: Powerful and Protective

Luna Lovegood | Hare | Meaning: Adaptable and Quick-Witted

Ginny Weasley | Horse | Meaning: Passionate

Nymphadora Tonks | Jackrabbit / Wolf | Meaning: Powerful and Protective

Minerva McGonagall & Dolores Umbridge | Cat | Meaning: Watchful and Loyal

Arthur Weasley | Weasel | Meaning: Spontaneous

Fred and George Weasley | Magpie | Meaning: Intelligent and Curious

Aberforth Dumbledore | Goat | Meaning: Kind

Cho Chang | Swan | Meaning: Grace and Transformation

Seamus Finnigan | Fox | Meaning: Wise

For a detailed description of all Patronus meanings, please refer to this list.

How is the Patronus Charm in the films different from the books?

It can act as a messenger. We can see this in the novels when Kingsley Shacklebolt uses his Patronus to send a warning to the Order of the Phoenix during Bill and Fleur's wedding. One of the most prominent examples is when Snape sends his Patronus to show Harry where the Sword of Gryffindor is in the Forest of Dean.

Dark wizards can produce a Patronus. Most may think it's impossible given their alignment with the Dementors and their inability to produce happy memories. However, there have been some wizards with dubious morality that can produce. A notable example is Dolores Umbridge.

Patronuses are unpredictable. There is no way to tell what a wizard's Patronus charm will be until they are able to produce a full corporeal charm. Some think it may be based on their loved ones or an animal from their country, but it can take on a form that is most needed by the caster.

Questions for you:

◦ What would your Corporal Patronus be?

Comment below to share your answer!