Part 6

Mum's passing hits my family like an atomic bomb. Nobody moved, ate, or slept for days. At some point, we knew we'd have to go back to school. Harry came my every night to console me. He was the only one. I told the other boys, but they gave me space. I needed space, but not from Harry. Something about being with Harry was different. For some time at night, I actually felt a small lift in my mood. It was a start, but a slow one. 

I go to school after a week. I wear the biggest hoodie I can find and some joggers. I can't bring myself to do my hair or even tie my shoelaces. All of my teacher let me off the hook for my school work, with the exception of notes. Haz won't leave my side. We have all of our classes together, so he just sits with me, his large hand on the small of my back. I didn't say a word through the whole day. My mum would tell me to be strong. "Don't give up, you can take it day my day. Diamonds, they don't turn to dust or fade away," she once told me. 

I made a promise to her the day before she passed. I told her I'd be living one life for the two of us. I told her I would always be the best me, that I would keep her in my heart. But it's hard. She was my rock. I don't know if I can do this without her. 

When school ends, Harry walks me to my car. As I turn to grab the handle, he pulls me into a tight hug. I can't help but let my tears escape. I sob into his shoulder. 

"I love you, Louis. Talk to me," he whispers in my ear. My breath hitches.

"You... love me?" I look up at him, tears in my eyes.

He bends down to kiss me. "Of course I do."

"I love you, too." More tears escape as I bury my face back into his shoulder. My mum would be proud. 

We stay like this while we wait for Lottie, sobs escaping with every breath. Harry doesn't mind, he just holds me. When Lottie comes, we pull her into the hug and she cries too. We all hold each other, tears staining Lottie and I's faces. I don't know how long we stay like this, but when we look up, the parking lot is almost empty. Harry doesn't judge us, he understands. His stepdad passed on not too long ago. 

Lottie sniffs and walks around to the passenger side of the car. Harry pecks me once more on my lips and tells me he loves me while I get in my car. 

"So," Lottie sniffs, "Are you and Harry a thing now?" She lets out a soft chuckle. "You can tell me, y'know." She grabs my hand.

"I don't know. If he wants it, I'm up for it. 

"I didn't know you were gay."

"I didn't either. I told..." my voice fades. 

"It's okay to say 'mum'. She would want us to move on." She lets another tear escape her eyes. 

"I know." I look back at the road. "I told... mum... I loved Harry last week. She told me to tell him, so I did."

"And?"

"But... he beat me to it." I give her a small smile.

"He told you first?"

"Yep."

"Is that what he said to you while I was in the car?"

"Yeah. He told me right before you got there, too."

"What did you say?"

"I told him I love him back."

"Y'know, when I told you Harry had a crush on someone I knew really well... it was you he liked. I didn't want to tell you because we both thought you were straight, but It seems we were both wrong."

"Surprisingly, yeah. You were wrong. Look... Lottie, I want you to be able to talk to me. About anything."

"I want you to talk to me about anything. And everything. I know it's weird with Harry being my ex and all, but trust me, I'm over him. I have a crush on Calum Hood. What do you think about him?"

"Eh," I say. 

"That's what you said about Harry and look at you now." She laughs a genuine, happy laugh. It was a sound I haven't heard in a while. Mum would be proud. 

"Well... I guess Calum's nice. I think you should go for it." I squeeze her hand. 

"He kinda asked me out today. I said yes." She gives me a cheeky smile.

"Good for you. Mum would be proud." We both look at the road, smiles playing on our faces, when I get a phone call. It's from the police. 

"Hello?" I answer the phone.

"Hello, is this Lewis Tomlinson?"

"Louis, yes."

"Do you know Harry Edward Styles?"

"Yes, is something wrong?"

"Harry was in an accident."

Hey, I know it's another short chapter, but what can I say? I fit a lot into this chapter and I hope you liked it. 

So, Harry's been in an accident. What's going to happen next?

-Mo