How Charmander Got His Blaze Back

By the way, the names for Brock and Misty's Pokemon, along with Ash's Kanto starter are property of Dragonsrule18. I legit tried to come up with new names, but I couldn't think of squat.

—------------------------------------------

An hour or so later after their adventure at the sanctuary, they had stopped to camp and eventually, dinner was served. Brock was extremely happy to know that Bulbasaur loved his food as much as everyone else did and Psi loved their new custom mix with Nanab Berry extract. Misty stroked Butterfree, who was eating next to her.

Misty: Do you like the new recipe Brock made, Alex?

The Butterfree thrilled in agreement, but became confused at being called a name instead of his species classification.

Brock: "Alex"? You named your Butterfree? I thought you didn't nickname your Pokemon?

Misty: Well I've decided to try giving my Pokemon cute nicknames like Ash does with his Pokémon. I thought it might make us closer.

Brock: Cool, maybe I should start nicknaming mine too. What do you think, Ash?

Ash: Uh.... Oh. This is kinda awkward...

Brock: Why?

Ash: I didn't nickname my Pokémon. They had names when I first met them.

Misty: *punches Ash in shoulder* Why didn't you tell us before?! Brock and I have been calling our Pokémon by their species names! They might have had real names and we never knew!

Ash: Ow! You never asked, and they never mentioned any names, even when they were talking to each other!

Misty calmed down at this, but she and Brock both asked Ash to ask their Pokémon for their names. Ash started with Brock's Pokémon as he let out Onix, Geodude, and Zubat since Bulbasaur was already out.

Onix: Onix IS my name. I was bred in captivity, so I didn't get a name from my parents and Brock didn't nickname me.

Brock frowned when Ash translated Onix's words to him.

Brock: I'm sorry, Onix. Would you like me to give you a nickname?"

Onix: *with a laugh* No, being called Onix doesn't bother me. And it's been my name for so long that if you call me by something else, I'll probably look at you blankly and wonder who the heck you're talking to.

Brock nodded after Ash told him Onix's answer.

Brock: What about you, Geodude? I caught you as a wild Pokémon.

Geodude: My real name is ridiculous and I hate it.

Green: Oh come on, my parents named me after my skin color, for Mew's sake. How bad could your's be?

Geodude: Fine, I'll tell you. It's...

A dirt bike zoomed past, its loud motor cutting off whatever Geodude was saying.

Geodude: So just call me Geodude.

Zubat: The name my flock gave me is Nightwing, but I don't care what you call me as long as it's not "late for dinner". *chuckles* That's a joke.

Bulbasaur: Same story with me as with Onix. My former trainer never gave me a nickname.

When Brock asked if he wanted one, Bulbasaur shook his head.

Bulbasaur: No offense, but trainers can give out some very ridiculous nicknames. I don't want one.

Yami: Tell me about it. Once while I was back at the gym, I saw a trainer that challenged AJ that called his Pokémon "Fluffy".