A Bone To Pick

And so the Battle Frontier arc begins! Bet you weren't expecting this, huh? Well, sit down, SHUT UP, and enjoy!

—------------------------------------------

After separating with Misty and Brock during his congratulatory party for his placement in the Indigo Conference, Ash and his Pokemon are now on a new journey to conquer the Battle Frontier. Now joined by old friend Serena and a newly-humbled Gary, the three set their sights on Saffron City, where they hope to catch the Magnet Train for Ash's first Frontier Battle in Goldenrod City. But for now, the group decided to stop in Vermillion City for a short break before hitting the road back to Safforn.

Cobalt: *sighs* Vermillion City. Really takes me back.

Gary: So, this is where you won the Thunder Badge, Ash?

Ash: A bit more than that, but it's also where Cobalt evolved from Riolu. And where I began to conquer my fear of Electric-types after.... You know.

Serena was confused at what Ash meant, but the empathetic look on Gary's face made it clear this was a serious matter, so she diddn't pressure him. As they were walking, the group was taking in the few special sights around when Ash accidentally collided with someone big, tall, and certainly muscled, falling to his back.

Green: Ash!

Both Green and Gaary leaned down, helping Ash to his feet.

Gary: You alright?

Ash: *groans* Yeah. Sorry about walking into you.

???: Don;t worry about- Huh?

Ash blinked as he looked up to the other person before realizing just who it was he bumped into.

Ash: Lt. Surge?!

Indeed it was Surge, the familiar war veteran and Vermillion City gym leader and wow. Lt. Surge clearly grew older for only being a year since he saw the man. Still hella intimidating though, even when his hair had grown white at some of the roots and the adorable and famous Raichu by his side. Seeing the man, Serena cowered a bit as Gary looked suspiciously at the man.

Lt. Surge: Well, if it ain;t the little runt and his party! *smirks* How do you do, squirt?

Ash: *smirks* Just fine, old man.

The other two humans were surprised at Ash's response, but Lt. Surge smiled and nodded in approval as Cobalt spoke to Raichu, giving him a salute like before.

Cobalt: Good to see you again, Sir.

Raichu: *slautes, chuckles* At ease, soldier.

Lt. Surge: Saw you and your team in the Pokemon League, nice work. Real proud of you using that Rotom.

Ash: I... Thank you, sir.

Lt. Surge: So, what brings your scrawny bee-hind back to Vermillion since you already have my badge? Did you.... Come to take my OTHER FINGER?!

He then shows off his left hand, which is revealed to be missing a ring finger. The sight made Serena squeamish and Gary gasp in shock.

Gary: Holy crap! You lost your finger in the war?!

Lt. Surge: War? No, my momma told me not to run with scissors.... Some lessons need to be learned the hard way.

Ash: Well... I'm actually competing in the Battle Frontier.

Lt. Surge: The Battle Frontier, eh? Well, you must've impressed Scott with your skills. Can't say I'd thnk he was crazy, you might have a shot.

Serena: We're on our way to Saffron to chatch the train since our first stop is Goldenrod City in Johto.