𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲 | tea parties and assumptions

OO3. ( CHAPTER THREE )

( y/n becomes emo )

WIPING OFF ANY tear that might've slipped as he yawned, he stood from his chair for a brief stretch, before going back to slouching into his desk. reviewing his condolence letter, he scribbled in a signature with a quill, before rolling it into a scroll.

just as he had put a ribbon with the wax seal of the parlor, a firm and loud knock on the door echoed through out the room, bouncing off the walls and leaving his ears ringing.

a smooth voice called out, "am i permitted to enter?" recognizing the voice, he stood up, chair scraping against the wooden floor.

"ah, yes of course, what did you want me for?" the subtle upturn of his lips weren't unnoticed, but rather not mentioned.

"i wanted company to drink tea with is all." the older held a gentle smile. though he seemed old for his age and the prominent formality in his speech, he looked rather young.

yet another reason as to how they were different. y/n saw no reason for him to be spending time with zhongli, but wasn't opposed to conversing.

IT WAS THE middle of the week, hence was the lack of crowd in the tavern. a few regulars got in and went out every now and then, but it was empty majority of the time. catching one of the corner seats, y/n waved him over.

staring at the steam billowing from the cup, y/n made no move to initiate or uphold a conversation. sensing his obvious unease, zhongli took it upon himself.

"how have you been faring, my friend? i don't see you outside your room much as of late." y/n pursed his lips.

"i'm, doing alright, i suppose." yet another short answer, zhongli noted. y/n was caving in. he was isolating himself.

'well i suppose alatus was like this once upon a time as well.' he sighed. perhaps it was common for those of his age group to act like that.

"i see, how do you like this tea, y/n?"

"it's," yet another pause. "it's good. i like the flavor." ah, genuine. he smiled into the rim of his cup, skillfully hiding it behind a hand. placing his empty cup down, he stared at the peculiar individual in front of him, trying to piece together on what may have been the reason to this meek and soundless behavior.

he seemed to be very anti-social. reserved, quiet, secluded. 'just like alatus.' he reminisced.

they'd get along well, or alatus might try to strangle the other, either one of the too.

he hoped for a better outcome. amber eyes brightened to a pale yellow, a sudden warmth holding his heart in a bruising grip. he could get to know xiao. maybe.

the soft thud of ceramic against the wood momentarily brought him back to the world of teyvat. y/n had finally choked through the steaming beverage. feeling his pockets for his purse, zhongli fumbled with the beads at the top before opening it. comically, a single mora sat at the bottom, lonely and less appealing.

for all his pride in being a god, he sure wasn't financially sound. a collective clunk of metal made him sit straight.

"you don't have to, really, y/n."

"allow me."

alatus and y/n would be good friends, he concluded.

y/n observed how zhongli carried himself. poised and beyond his years, his attire, his speech, mannerisms. all were certainly out of place. he found himself subconsciously changing his own way of speech when he was talking with him.

yanfei was a modern adepti, maybe, zhongli?

whatever may he be, he couldn't deny that he had a regal air to him, as though he was a being higher than him, than all of them.

though everyone was higher than him. stronger, better.

missing zhongli's worried look, y/n turned gaunt. slouching, he mindlessly payed attention to the gravel beneath him, already knowing he'd get admonished for his posture.

zhongli was concerned. 

𝗔𝗥𝗖𝗔𝗡𝗘,
© 𝗢𝗥𝗫𝗛𝗘𝗨𝗦, 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮