Born Of Fire Chapter 12

Phoenix rose from the table, and strode for the door. “Phoenix!” cried Doritan. “Get back here!”

Phoenix turned and eyed the older man at the head of the table. “When I made my vow, you mocked me. During those years, you allowed every single person in this room to do the same.”

“But-”

“It does not matter Father. Whatever you say shall not sway me.”

“Everything I have done has been in your best interests, Phoenix!”

“Oh? And when I warned you against celebrating the deaths of our men? When I destroyed Demetrius’ forces camp? All you have done is exploit me, and every single piece of rubbish within this village. The fact that they have not overthrown you is a mystery to me, as I would have killed you years ago had it not been for that woman right there,” Phoenix said, pointing to Ember, who was making her way down to him.

“And who is she that you love her so?” huffed Doritan.

Ember reached Phoenix at that moment and stood beside him. Her presence beside him caused him to pull his shoulders back, straightening to his full height. “She is the only person who did not jest, and point, and who has loved me no matter what choices I have made, even those she did not agree with.”

A smile stretched across Ember’s scarred lips, and Phoenix turned again, only to be met by the lithe body of Lindani, and Spedro’s hulking mass. They parted, allowing him through, then fell in step behind him. The door of Doritan’s home closed behind them with a muted thud, and Phoenix kept walking. Out of the square, then out of the village and into the forest.

Nothing was said. The only noise, except those of the animals within the foliage, was the grunts of exertion as the four jumped fallen trees, and the crackling of leaves underfoot. Phoenix contemplated as they walked, the four of them. He would watch this village burn with a smile on his face, as long as Ember was not in harm’s way. If she had not been in danger a few days back, he would have only fought half-heartedly, not caring for those around him. But she had been, so he fought. Not for himself, or for the bastards that populated the wretched village, but for her. Because she had a compassion and love for her people, even though they whispered behind her back, and created wild stories about her scars; that she had upset the gods, and they had doomed her to walk the earth as a monster, but the transformation was cut short by her pleas for mercy. Or that she and Phoenix had crossed lines of family, and were so punished, the gods removing his abilities, and scarring her so that no man would ever lay an eye on her lustfully again. Idiotic stories of a blind, arrogant, backwards people. He had not cared for any of them, except her. Now Lindani and Spedro had intruded into their duo, accepting him as them as they were, scars and all. Phoenix looked back to Lindani, who was about to hop a large log. The muscles in her bare legs flexed as they tensed, and she leaped, her hand placed on the bark as she vaulted up and over the trunk. She landed, crouching slightly before straightening and catching him gazing at her. She smiled and Phoenix’s heart skipped a beat.

Hardening his features, he spoke tightly. “Hurry up.”

They walked to the river; a place Phoenix nor Ember had not seen since that fateful day ten years earlier. Phoenix rounded the last tree, and the clearing was in sight.

Lindani gasped. “It’s beautiful.”

Some of the clearing had been claimed by nature, encroaching on its edges. Still a sizable area, a wall of trees stood in a ring about it. The leaves on the trees swayed in the breeze, and the streams current carried the water quickly, causing the sound of water to fill their ears.

Ember looked around, a sad smile upon her face. Phoenix walked to a tree, a large side of it blackened by flame. Ember’s body, lying in the leaves as she cried out in pain flashed through his mind and his fists clenched at his sides.

Lindani’s hand threaded through Phoenix’s. “What happened here? She looks sad, while you quake in anger.”

Both Ember and Phoenix spoke at the same time.

“This is where Phoenix gave up his ability,” she said.

“This is where Ember received her scars,” Phoenix whispered.

Lindani’s eyes widened and she dropped Phoenix’s hand, pulling Ember into a hug. After a moment, Ember pulled away and nodded, then Lindani turned back to Phoenix. “Why have you brought us here?”

Phoenix gritted his teeth. “This is the only secret place around Yaag. This is where you will be training me.”

“I do not understand.”

Phoenix reached out and drew a small amount of water from the stream with his hand, creating an orb and moving his hand around it constantly. “This is the extent of my water use. You are going to teach me how to harness and hone this new ability, so that when Demetrius’ forces return, I can protect Ember, you, and Spedro.”

Ember broke in. “But Phoenix, you said you would not help the village.”

The ball of water fell to the floor. Crossing his arms, Phoenix sighed before answering. “I have no love for my village, or for my so-called father. But you do. I will protect those sons of whores for you, and only for you.”

Ember smiled, and retreated to where Spedro stood, leaning against the large man's arm.

The corner of Lindani's mouth twitched upward, forming an evil smile. “There is one rule. No fire. Because you must be concentrating on learning the art of water, your mind can be nowhere else. No flame, whatsoever.” The young woman set her feet apart and angled her hands toward the stream. “If you are ready? I will not go easy on you because you are handsome Phoenix. Though it will make this more enjoyable.”

Phoenix scoffed, and instantly regretted it. A wall of water rose from the stream, and splashed toward him, filling his ears with the roaring of her attack.