Born Of Fire Chapter 20

Recap: Lindani’s face appeared above him and he focused on her, trying to correct his swimming vision. “Next time you two think you can do something like that Phoenix, I will tie you down, and throw orb after orb right here,” She said, poking him in the crotch pointedly. “Get it?”

Groaning, Phoenix sat up and rubbed his now black and blue chest. “Yea, I got it.”

 _____________________________

“Good,” Said Lindani, straightening, then offering him her hand. He grasped it and she heaved him up to his feet. Phoenix turned in a slow circle, surveying the carnage around him. Fifty one men lay dead, while the fourteen who had surrendered huddled together, looking at the dismembered bodies of their dead comrades. Phoenix stepped toward them and as one, they all stepped back.

“You have surrendered, and as such, you are all prisoners of the village of Yaag,” said Phoenix, making sure to speak loud enough for all of them to hear him.

One man stepped forward, with the markings of Sergeant on his chest plate. He bowed to one knee, placed a fist over his heart, then dropped his head. “We shall do as you command Lord Phoenix.”

Phoenix was surprised, but quickly masked it; he could not let any emotion show to the men he had spared. Calling out to the lower ranking soldiers, he had them tie each man to the next, forming a line of men with their hands bound to the man in front of them. Spedro held the lead rope, and guided the men into the square behind Phoenix.

Phoenix came to a stop near the fire, and waited a moment. No one left the doorways and homes, so he raised his hands high into the air. “Cowards of Yaag! It is safe to show your faces once more!”

At once, the street was filled with people, his barb having had no effect on them. Slapping him on the back and congratulating him, the people crowded around him. A chant rose into the air, filling Phoenix’s ears. “Phoenix, the savior of Yaag!”

Rolling his eyes, Phoenix went to push the crowd aside and lead the men to Doritans home when he spied one of the fighting men kicking one of the prisoners in the back, causing the man to fall to the ground.

“You!” Phoenix yelled. “What do you think you are doing?”

The fighting man, Jenso, looked up and swept his greasy hair from his face. “Teaching this man that no one attacks Yaag.”

Phoenix pushed the crowd aside and stalked up to the larger man, inclining his head slightly to look him in the eye. “Last time I checked Jenso, these were my prisoners. Captured by me, in the battle that just took place,” Phoenix said, his tone dripping venom. “Curiously, you were nowhere to be seen as we four battled the invaders.”

“But-” Started Jenso.

“No!” Barked Phoenix. “These are prisoners of war, and as civilized people, we do not harm them once they are in our custody.” Phoenix lit his hand and brought it into Jenso line of sight. “Am I clear?”

Jenso stared into the flame emanating from Phoenix’s hand before speaking. “Y-y-yes Ph-Phoenix.”

“Good,”  Said Phoenix, before turning and walking toward Doritans home, but not before he glimpsed a look of approval from the captured Sergeant.

Throwing open the door and stalking into the foyer, Phoenix’s eyes took in the square room before turning right down a hallway. Halfway down the hallway, Phoenix came to a stop before a blank wall.

After a moment of him not moving, Lindani came up and rested a hand on his shoulder. “Phoenix? Please do not tell me you have gotten lost in your own fathers home?”

Phoenix did not remove his eyes from the wall, but did shake her hand from his shoulder. “I have not forgotten my way, I have just forgotten where it is.”

“Okay?” Questioned Lindani, before turning and shrugging her shoulders at her brother.

Phoenix stayed still for another moment before recognition overtook him and he stepped forward, pressing his finger into a spot on the wall. His finger sunk in and a large thump sounded before a large piece of the wall began to slide slowly backward. When it was fully open, Phoenix moved to the side to let the others see what he saw. Doritan sat on his haunches in a small hidden room, hands over his head as he hid from the invaders. Calling out in fear, Doritan yelled to who he thought were his would be killers “Please! I can’t help you if you kill me!”

Spedro started chuckling, and Doritan raised his eyes. Ember simply shook her head, while Lindani giggled. “Phoenix! You repelled them again?” Asked Doritan.

“Yes father, while you were hiding, I took care of Demetrius’ forces. Again. And this time I captured more than one man.”

“Good!” Exclaimed Demetrius, while removing himself from the hiding hole. “Where are they?”

“In your foyer.”

Doritan’s eyes widened, then he sprinted past them into the main hall. Phoenix smiled and turned to follow. He came up to his father’s back, and passed him. Doritan looked stumped as he stared at the fourteen prisoners sitting cross legged on his floor. To Phoenix he whispered, “How did you know they wouldn’t try to escape?”

“Show a man a little kindness, even a prisoner, and he will show you the same,” Phoenix whispered back.

Confused, Doritan shook his head before turning to the men. “Will you comply?”

The sergeant stood up and saluted, placing his fist above his heart. “We shall.”

“Where shall we put them father?” Phoenix asked.

“Place them in the butcher shop for the moment. I will address the people.”

Rolling his eyes once more, Phoenix led the prisoners out of Doritans home and to the butcher shop. Letting the men go before him once he opened the door, Phoenix heard the start of his father’s speech. “Good people! We have repelled the forces of Demetrius once again!”

Phoenix started back toward Doritan when Spedro grabbed his shoulder, lifted him off the ground, and pulled him into the shop before he killed Doritan.