Born Of Fire Chapter 21

Recap: Rolling his eyes once more, Phoenix led the prisoners out of Doritans home and to the butcher shop. Letting the men go before him once he opened the door, Phoenix heard the start of his father’s speech. “Good people! We have repelled the forces of Demetrius once again!”

Phoenix started back toward Doritan when Spedro grabbed his shoulder, lifted him off the ground, and pulled him into the shop before he killed Doritan.

 Continued:

“Spedro! Let me be!” cried Phoenix, struggling in the iron grip of the large man.

Lindani came over quickly, for once eye to eye with Phoenix as he dangled from Spedro’s thick arm. “If you act against your father, you may kill him. If you kill him, leadership of Yaag falls to you. Is that what you want?”

Ceasing his struggling, Phoenix sighed, then turned his gaze on Spedro. Spedro smirked and dropped him, Phoenix’s boots clapping against the stone floor of the butcher shop. Adjusting his tunic, Phoenix looked to the prisoners now lining the back wall, some looking fearful. The Sergeant stepped forward, standing straight, chest pushed out, with his hands rigidly at his sides.

“You are in command now that your Captain is dead, correct?” asked Phoenix.

The Sergeant nodded, then spoke clearly. “I am Cupos, second in command of the Wraiths.”

Phoenix gestured, and Cupos and he both sat on stools meant for waiting customers. The other thirteen prisoners, Spedro, Lindani and Ember all found a spot on the floor, sitting cross legged. “The Wraiths?” Phoenix asked.

Cupos’ face filled with pride. “Elite warriors in Demetrius’ employ. We are the best human warriors he has.”

Phoenix chuckled, and raised his hands in a calming way. “No offense Cupos, but we four decimated your ranks in minutes. If the men we fought earlier were the best, then we have nothing to fear from Demetrius.”

It was Copus’ turn to laugh. “Notice I said human. Under Demetrius, Zuhdalay are considered a step above us gift less humans. You have not seen the best he has, as you have not fought a battalion of elementals.”

Phoenix raised an eyebrow. “Tell me of these battalions.”

Cupos’ eyes took on a faraway look, and he spoke in a tone of awe. “We cross trained with a battalion of Zuhdalay once, their number was more than five hundred. All four elements were present within the battalion, and each elemental was paired with another, bolstering one another’s strength. Yaagalay with Bachtalay, and Piaslay with Bahdvalay. The earth user would throw huge boulders great distances, and the fire user would melt it in flight, causing molten rock to rain down on enemies. The air users would cause a spinning maelstrom, and the water user would send a large sphere of ice into it. After a moment, razor sharp shards of ice would rain in all directions, shredding man and beast alike.”

A deep breathe, and he continued.

“I saw them run for a full day and night, never stopping for rest. My men and I faltered after six hours, unable to continue. As the sun rose on the second day, a Piaslee pulled water from a well, then bathed every man, including us, in it at once. As the water flowed over our bodies, it began to glow. When she pulled it back, we felt rejuvenated, refreshed, and more powerful than ever. After that, we were stronger, faster, and longer winded. We ran for sixteen hours directly after, marveling at it the entire time.”

At this Phoenix turned and looked to Lindani, who simply shrugged with a perplexed look.

Cupos’ went on. “We could not compare to them, and while you four may be admirable warriors, you will fall against them.”

Phoenix sat back in his chair, pondering all this, and Cupos himself. After a moment, he asked, “Tell me this Cupos. You seem an upstanding man. Why fight and kill for Demetrius?”

Cupos looked to the floor. “Many reasons. My family reside in his country, and I fear for them. All men of able body must fight, or be killed. I have pride in my men, but not in my position. I am simply making the best of a situation over which I have no control.”

Phoenix searched Cupos’ eyes, searching for a hint of a lie, but was only met with sorrow and grief. Turning to the men who sat on the floor, he asked, “And you men feel the same?”

Thirteen heads nodded, and Phoenix turned to Spedro, seeking his council. Spedro nodded back, and Phoenix made his mind up. Grasping the rope which bound Cupos’ hands together, Phoenix let a small amount of heat flow from his hand, causing the rope to smolder. The entire length of rope fell from each mans hands, freeing all fourteen of them.

“Go. You are free. Try to remove your families from Demetrius’ control however you may,” Phoenix said.

Cupos and the thirteen stared, eyes wide. “You would just let us leave? After we attacked your home?” asked one soldier.

“I have no love for my home,” Phoenix said, waving him off. To Cupos he said, “Go! Get out of here, but use the back exit. Do not let any of the villagers see you, or they will attack.”

The fourteen moved for the door, but Cupos turned and came back to Phoenix, grasping his hand, shaking it hard. “Thank you my lord. Your kindness will not be forgotten. Before we go, I must warn you. Demetrius plans to have the entire land under his rule, Yaag included. Remove yourself and those you love from the cities and villages. Take to the mountains and the caves, and pray to the gods you are not found.”

Phoenix laughed, and grasped Cupos’ shoulder. “Do not worry about us. We will fare better than you expect.”

Cupos turned with a dry smile. “Until, if ever, we meet again.” Cupos saluted, then ran out of the door, running hunched over in an attempt to stay out of sight. Just as Cupos disappeared through the tree line, the door of the shop flew open and in walked Doritan, looking rather full of himself.

 _______________________

Thanks for reading guys and gals. Remember to vote! It's that little numbered star thingy right to your left.

Haha! You looked! Now you must click it. Why? Cause it makes me happy that's why!

And dont you want the author of your (hopefully) favorite story happy?!