Born Of Fire Chapter 27

Wow guys! You guys sure are good at meeting challenges! Well, as promised, here is another chapter. And considering that you guys have met this challenge, I hope no one minds if I send another one your guys' way.

For another upload in seven days, 20 votes.

For another upload in three days, 35 votes.

For another upload in 24 hours, 45 votes.

With that said, I hope you all enjoy this new chapter!

The next morning, Phoenix rose with the sun, to find Lindani already awake, and  strapping her armor to her chest. Hoping that things would remain the same between them, he stretched, and caught her eye.

“Good morning,” he said, watching her face closely for any hint of emotion.

She turned to him and smiled. “Good morning yourself.”

He had caught no undercurrents of malice, or any emotions other than a pleasant mood from her, and almost sighed in relief. He rose from the chair, and strode into the washroom, finding that Lindani had already filled a basin of water for washing. He touched the clay of the large bowl, letting heat from his hand, heating the water. Washing the sleep from his face, he fixed his hair, then made his way back out into the room.

Lindani sat on the edge of the bed, one leg crossed over the other, watching him intently as he dressed. He was aware of her gaze, but continued as though she were not there. He spent more time that usual picking a shirt, and sat picking the lint from it. She finally spoke, and the words were what he dreaded.

“Phoenix, are there any girls in Yaag that have caught your eye?”

He raised his eyes and met her stare, noticing the half smile she addressed him with. He pondered her question a moment, then spoke. “No. The women there do not understand my plight, and I do not care to help them understand.”

She nodded, seemingly lost in thought. “And have you ever thought of finding a woman outside your borders?”

“Well, considering that I have only left Yaag a handful of times, and those were when I was a child, no.”

Lindani rose, the tension in her muscles obvious in her movements. “I will wait for you in the hall.”

Phoenix watched her leave, wondering what he had said to offend her. When the door closed behind her, it opened again immediately. Ember walked through, clad in a green, curve hugging dress. He swelled with pride, seeing how beautiful his adopted sister was, but when she knelt to kiss his cheek, her scarred side showed and his chest constricted. He could pretend all he wanted, he would never forgive himself for causing her harm, and often wondered how she did. She pulled back, looking at him questioningly when he did not return the kiss.

“Is everything all right brother?”

Phoenix smiled. “Of course. Did you sleep well?”

She giggled, then sat on the edge of the bed, in the spot Lindani had just vacated. “I did. Did you?”