Chapter 4

We entered in the building where we heard the noise. I quckly noticed the dishes set with care on the table.

Me:"It's like they were about to have dinner. What could have happened?"

Vengeance:"Who knows? These kind of things take short time to trigger the tragedy."

Me:"But there isn't sign of a fight here. It's almost if they turned during their daily routine."

Vengeance:"Guess we can cancel 'virus' from the list, then. At least I hope."

We heard footsteps from the upper floor. I looked around to find something I could use as a weapon, and I grabbed a bottle.

Vengeance went to the stairs cracking his knuckles.

We ran above ready to the assault and we dashed to somebody hiding in the dark.

I put him on the ground and Vengeance was ready to attack.

???:"Damn it no! Let me go!"

At the sound of his voice, we both stopped.

Vengeance:"Wait, did he just..."

Me:"...talk?"

???:"What?"

I released him and he could finally see us.

???:"Wait, you're not one of those...creatures."

Me:"We could say the same. Pleased to find a normal man."

I helped him to stand up as he gave us a good look.

???:"You're just kids. Hod did you get involved into this?"

Me:"We were actually hoping you could tell us what is going on. We just found ourselves in this-"

But Vengeance pushed me away, staring at the man with a very weird look.

Vengeance:"Well well well. Now this is a big shot. By that coat, I presume you're a doctor, am I right?"

???:"Uh...yes, I...I'm doctor Marcelo Jimenez."

Vengeance:"Good."

He suddendly grabbed him and pushed him against the wall.

Me:"Hey, what are you-"

Vengeance:"A doctor in a place full of zombies. Now isn't that a weird coincindence, eh? Now you're going to say what is going on and who you're working for."

Jimenez:"Wait, no...you don't-"

Vengeance:"Though I can guess. It's the Umbrella, is it? Or maybe the Murkoff? They too are rather nuts. Or is it..."

I grabbed his shoulder and he turned to me.

Me:"Let him go."

Vengeance:"Seriously? He must know something."

Me:"We'll see about that. Let him go. Now."

We stared each other for a while. Then, he dropped him on the ground.

Vengeance:"I hate being a goody-two-shoes."

I kneeled to the guy and gave him a hand.

Me:"Are you ok? Please forgive him, he...he's just nervous."

Jimenez:"Don't worry, I understand how you feel. I, too, am having troubles with those thing. I'm trying to find my patient."

Me:"You mean there's another human being here?"

Jimenez:"Yes, my patient Leslie. We got separated, and I'm trying to reach him, but those creatures are everywhere."

Me:"We noticed. But how did this start? They couldn't just have popped out of nowhere."

I noticed a small hint of hesitation in his eyes, then he replied.

Jimenez:"And yet, it's kinda what happened."

Vengeance:"Uh? Why don't you explain, old man? Then I'll choose if I'll trust you."

He nodded as he made a deep breath.

Jimenez:"I work...well, worked now, on the Beacon Mental Hospital, in Krimson City."

Vengeance:"Translation: an asylum. What a change..."

Jimenez:"A-Anyway, it was a normal day, when...something...happened."

Me:" 'Something'...what?"

Jimenez:"I'm not sure...it happened so fast...it was a carnage. Two officers came in before I lost consciousness.
When I woke up, another one found me and helped Leslie and I to flee. The whole city was somehow collapsing."

Me:"Yeah, I saw that myself."

Vengeance:"It must have been a hell of a show. Too bad I missed it."

Jimenez:"He took us on an ambulance, with another officer, a woman. One of the two who entered got out and managed to reach us before it was too late and we went."

Me:"And how did you get here alone?"

Jimenez:"The officer who was driving was...well, I'm not sure, but he was changing in one of those things."

Vengeance:"Wait, just like that?"

Jimenez:"Yes...then the ambulance fell off from a cliff, and when a woke up I was alone. I heard Leslie's screamings and I followed them, and here I am."

So basically he got into this mess almost like us. That said it was his version, and without my Penance Stare I had no way to see if he was lying.

From what I could say, there was something he didn't say for some reason, but it wasn't a crime.

Vengeance on the other hand was doing it his way.

Vengeance:"Hmmmm...To BElieve, or not to BElieve? That is the question."

He turned to him with a sharp stare.

Vengeance:"Give me a reason I should believe that nonsense you just spew out."

Jimenez:"Please, I'm telling the truth! I need to find Leslie, and quick before something bad happen to him!"

He wasn't convinced, and he was about to reply when I grabbed his arm.

Me:"Give us a moment."

Vengeance:"What?"

I dragged him on the other side of the room, without loosing sight of the doctor.

Vengeance:"Please tell me you're not buying this façade."

Me:"We can't be sure if he's responsable of this. For what we've seen he's in trouble just like us."

Vengeance:"For what we know this 'Leslie' is the patient 0 who triggered this whole thing and he's looking for him to complete his experiment. He's hiding something!"

Me:"On that we agree. But we can't kill somebody for a suspicion."

Vengeance:"...Then I-"

Me:"Nor torturing either."

He dropped down.

Vengeance:"Lame..."

Me:"Look, let's follow him for now. If you were right, you can deal with him whatever you want."

He raised an eyebrow.

Vengeance:"...And you won't stop me?"

Me:"I give you my word."

Vengeance:"...Then I'm in, buddy!"

He began shaking my hand when we heard a noise coming from the other room.

A sound of footsteps, getting closer

Jimenez:"Oh no!"

Y/N:"Hurry, go to hide!"

He nodded as he went in a pile of trash behind us.

Vengeance:"Let's see what we got now."

We got ready to fight when somebody opened the door