⑦. 𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐊𝐢𝐬𝐬

        Victoria had talked to August about the whole thing and they agreed to take it slow

It had been a good two weeks of dating. Dating August didn't feel any different, besides there was a lot more hand-holding and there was kissing and making out. There had been an awkward first date at Luke's, but she wouldn't have it any other way.

So, now she was officially meeting August's family as August's girlfriend, not just as a friend.

Now here she was, in their kitchen, eating KFC. It looked like August was avoiding the coleslaw.

Mr. Chan looked at August's plate, "Eat your coleslaw."

August looked at it, "Why? It's just wet salad."

Victoria didn't mind the coleslaw. She actually liked it.

"We have to blend in with white people," Mr. Chan told him.

"I'm white," August replied. "Why do I need to blend in by eating coleslaw?"

Mrs. Chan groaned, "Stop saying that. You're Singaporean like the rest of us, so eat your wet salad."

"But it's obvious that I'm adopted," August said.

In a mock shocked voice, Mr. Chan said, "Oh, my god, who told you that? Was it your sisters?"

Victoria looked at Ember, who rolled her eyes.

"Wait," Jan said, looking like she was pretending to be shocked. "Auggie's adopted? Holy crap, when were you going to tell me?"

"You two are idiots," Ember said. "Mom and Dad should depend on me keeping the restaurant open."

"Discussion over," Mrs. Chan said. She spooned more coleslaw on August's plate, "Now eat your wet salad, dear."

August looked disgusted at it.

When August's parents and sisters weren't looking, Victoria raked the coleslaw onto her plate with a muttered, "You can thank me later."