1

The sun still shone brightly in the sky, but its light was dimmed by a shroud of gray clouds

It was the last week before school started, and I had not gone school shopping.

Although I did not want to be born on this planet, I was forced to attend school and study; it was my  final year of high school, and I had enough.

I sat on a bed, occasionally munching on a blue bag of Doritos and watching one of my favorite anime series from start to finish-Bleach-on my laptop but I heard a familiar noise so I paused it.

Tap-tap-tap.

The rhythm is unmistakable. I don't even need to turn my head to know who's at my window, defying gravity and common sense as usual.

I gazed out my window and spotted Aurelio hanging from a tree branch.

He was wearing plain black sweatpants, a silver chain adorned with our initials around his neck, and a black hoodie with black cat 4's on his feet.

"Hey," I say, sliding the window up with ease. 

"You gonna leave me hanging, or what?"

"Only metaphorically," I shoot back, helping him climb inside.

"Thanks, Sayir."

"Always," I muttered and smiled as he plopped himself on my bed and I did the same but next to him.

"Man, can you believe it?"

"Senior year. Feels like we were just tripping over shoelaces in kindergarten."

"Trippin? Speak for yourself," I counter, pulling a cushion under my chin. 

"Hm, learn how to confront people if your order is wrong and then we can talk about me."

"Whatever, Mr. Confident. Aren't you scared at all?"

"Scared?" He props himself up on an elbow, giving me that look, the one that's seen me through scraped knees and bad report cards.

"Only thing I'm scared of is not having you there to bail me out when I talk too much shit." 

"How about you use that beautiful brain of yours and hold back?" His playful tone teased as he lightly plucked my forehead and made me melt instantly, ready to agree to anything he wanted.

"But-"

"Yir, you know you can overreact just a bit," he interrupts and I suck my teeth.

"Says the king of dramatics"

"Keep dreaming, Sayir." He smirks, but then stands, stretching like a cat in the sun letting out a slight whimper.

"C'mon, let's go sweet-talk your mom into letting you come back with me."