2

I stare up at the ceiling, wide awake

I stare up at the ceiling, wide awake. Today is my first day of senior year.

Just the idea of walking through those glass double doors again makes me want to throw up.

I can't handle this-

I slide out of bed and tiptoe down the hall to Amina's room. She's snoring softly, tangled up in her blankets.

"Amina," I whisper, shaking her shoulder, and she grunts and turns over.

"Wake up!" I give her another shake.

"I need help picking out my outfit for school."

Amina cracks one eye open. "Now? It's..." She glances at her phone. "Four a.m.!"

"Please?" I beg.

Amina is only two years older than me. She has always been a night owl and loves the night life and because I'm the polar opposite of her, she finds me quite irritating.

"So I was thinking about this hoodie with—you're going back to sleep while I'm talking, aren't you?"

I watch as she snores into her pillow and I slowly walk out of her room and walk back into my room.

I walk back to my room, shivering slightly in the chilly hallway.

Goosebumps prickle my arms as the outfits to my chest.

Senior year. Just thinking about it makes my palms sweat.

High school so far has been so dramatic - fights, gossip.

Not my scene at all.

I've always focused on academics, staying in my own world.

But maybe this year will be different. I'm not the shy little freshman anymore. This is my time to break out of my shell, make new friends, and have new experiences.

new experiences, my ass-

Seeing my phone on my desk charging, I walk over to it, pick it up, and press one of the five numbers on my face time log.

I need more friends-

Aurelio picks up on the second ring.

His face pops up on my screen, his eyes still heavy with sleep.

His hair sticks up at odd angles and his voice is even deeper than usual, rough with drowsiness.

"Hey!" I say.

"Sorry, did I wake you?"

"Nah, I've been up for a while," He says through a yawn. "Couldn't really sleep either."