4

As I sit in the classroom, I can't help but notice the peeling paint on the walls and the stained carpet that smells terrible

Everything seems old and sad, just like how I feel being in this school.

I avoid eye contact with the other kids laughing and chatting with their friends.

I feel anxious and wish the day would end soon.

Suddenly, the bell rings, and the teacher, Ms. Violet, stands up.

She's younger than the other teachers and has kind eyes and a bright smile.

"Okay class, time to find your seats!" The other kids quickly claim their desks next to their friends, while I hold onto my backpack straps tightly, hoping to disappear.

"You must be Romano!" I see a tall girl with braids and pink barrettes beaming at me.

"I'm Sayir! Looks like we're going to be desk partners." I force a little smile back at her. 

She seems nice and is talking to me when no one else is.

Maybe this place won't be so bad after all-

Sayir talks her life away, telling me all about herself and asking question after question about me.

I give short, mumbled answers, still feeling shy. But her friendliness makes me start to relax a little bit.

The recess bell rings, its shrill sound echoing down the halls. All the kids leap up, scrambling to line up at the door.

"Come on!" Sayir says, grabbing my hand. I feel my cheeks flush pink as she pulls me up out of my seat.

No girl has ever held my hand before, even just to drag me somewhere.

It feels...nice...weird but nice.

We burst out onto the playground, the sun warm on our faces after the chilly air conditioning inside.

Kids are running in every direction, swinging and shouting and playing games.

Sayir leads me over to the jungle gym.

"Let's go on the playground!" she suggests.

"Bet I can go across faster than you!"

"You're on!" I say with a grin. I'm finally starting to have fun.

We both grab onto each side of the playground, getting ready to race.

But suddenly a shadow falls over us. I look up to see a taller boy looking down on us with a weird constipated look on his face.

"You're in my way," He snaps.