Chapter 1: The Mistress of Fate

(The ages of the characters are: Beast Boy - 19; Raven - 20; Starfire - 22; Robin - 22; Cyborg - 24)

Scorching heat beat down ferociously against Titan's Tower, leaving no prisoners as it bored itself on the Tower's occupants mercilessly. Inside sat five sweltering teens, strewn out lazily across various chairs and couches.

Beads of sweat persisted to crawl down each of their backs, and the incessant humming of the air conditioner refused to give them any peace.

Even the newswoman on the television appeared to be sick of the weather, "Well folks, today marks day nine of this unusual heat wave and we have finally topped the previous record. It is 110 degrees, the hottest day September has ever seen! Back to you, Leo..."

"Thank you Alice, in other news..." The anchorman's deep voice droned on to an inattentive audience, each Titan was lost in their own hazy thoughts.

Suddenly, a long guttural groan interrupted their lethargy and each looked up to see a thick cloud of black smoke coming from the air vent. The AC's humming had ceased and was now replaced by what sounded like an old carburetor on its last legs.

The common room began to grow stale; a heavy layer of heat encompassed the five Titan's.

"I can't stand it anymore!" The green skinned hero, known as Beast Boy, whined as he idly slammed his fist down on the couch cushion. His white undershirt was clinging to his body, drenched with sweat. "I'm gonna die!"

"Stop being so dramatic, you're making it worse," said the violet haired half-demon, Raven, who was just as tired of the heat as everyone else.

"I'm not being dramatic! I'm so freakin' tired of this!" He snapped back grouchily.

"Friends do not fight, we are all being affected by the heat." The exotic alien named Starfire moaned interposing in the small feud. "It is quite hot in here friend Robin, may we find another place to go?"

"Well, we should get the air conditioner fixed." Starfire looked at the Boy Wonder with large green eyes that he couldn't let down.

"I guess that could wait though." Robin sighed. "What do you guys want to do, maybe a movie?"

"Do you know how crowded it'll be? It's Labor Day, plus it's like a million degrees out! Everyone will be there." Beast Boy stated crossing his arms over his chest.

Starfire thought for a moment as she continued to fan herself with the fan she had made out of newspaper. An advertisement on the paper suddenly seemed to flash and caught her eye.

Upon smoothing out her makeshift fan, she saw sapphire words scrawled out in fancy old world script on a silvery background. There were sketches of sideshow events and a Ferris wheel.

"Carnival! This weekend only!"

"Is it outside?" Cyborg asked as he wiped his mechanical torso with a paper towel.

"It says here that it is located in the Big Top Arena. Oh can we go?" Starfire begged.

"I'm in!" Beast Boy grinned at the opportunity of actually doing something other than sitting around.

"Let's go," the Boy Wonder decided.

"Glorious!" Starfire flew up into the air jubilantly. The other three Titan's got up off the their seats save for one.