Chapter 8: A Time for Trust

"The best proof of love is trust"

- The Joyce Brothers

Cool air filtered in through the open windows, rousing Beast Boy out of his restless sleep. Ever since Madame Laveau forced them into their sleeping arrangements, the young man had found it difficult to find any rest.

Being so close to Raven, even with the 'pillow wall', created a tension he could not explain. Quietly, making sure not to rouse his wife, he lifted himself off the bed. Slowly, he tiptoed over to the windows and shut them so that no more cold air and rain would enter.

Beast Boy glanced over his shoulder at Raven. Lately she had been feeling better, he could tell by the way she slept. For the first couple of days she would never be able to become comfortable, she was always fidgeting.

That could be due to the fact that she was just as tense as he. But recently she had been able to relax. Knowing that Raven was getting the rest she needed relieved Beast Boy. He sighed, pulling the blanket over her shivering form and left her to sleep.

Raven felt her husband's fingers graze her shoulder but dared not open her eyes. He thought she was asleep, but this was not the case. The young woman hated the thought of sleeping so close to another person, it made her nervous. Hearing him turn on the shower, she knew that he was awake and not coming back to bed.

Turning to face the windows, Raven breathed in the last lingering wisps of fresh air. She almost allowed herself to yield to the temptation of sleep when something struck her. The young woman pulled the excess fabric of her green tank top up towards her nose and smelled it.

Raven had not showered since before she went to the hospital! Slowly she fingered her hair, it was quite greasy and her skin was moist with sweat. She cursed herself for not realizing this sooner; her mind was too wrapped up in other things.

Her face burned brightly, Beast Boy must have thought she was disgusting! Not wanting to think about that, Raven pulled back the blanket and gingerly placed her feet on the wooden floors. Gripping onto the nightstand for support she stood, her walk was shaky she was still getting used to being back on her feet.

Within minutes she was back to sitting down on the edge of the bed. She knew she would never be able to shower on her own. Her heart leapt into her throat, there was no way she could ever ask Beast Boy to help her bathe!

"No, absolutely not!" Raven muttered to the wall keeping her cerulean eyes cast down towards her pale feet. The young woman argued out her dilemma. "But I need to take a shower." She had to become clean somehow but her options were very limited.

Raven felt her face grow hotter and hotter at the mere thought of him helping her. But she knew that there really was no other way but she was too afraid to ask. Suddenly, she heard the water stop running Beast Boy was through with his shower.

Raven tensed as soapy water crept down her back. Her husband put a hand on her shoulder the other curled around her black hair, pushing it aside. "Relax." He breathed into her ear, his palm lightly stroking the small crevice between her shoulder and neck.

Raven tried to breath easier as she sat in the sudsy bath water, Beast Boy kneeled behind her on the bathmat. She closed her eyes, feeling very comfortable as his hands moved upwards to massage her head.