Chapter 10: Mending the Broken

"For one human being to love another: that is perhaps the most difficult of all our tasks, the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation".

-Ranier Maria Rilke

Raven traced a flower on the pillowcase with her finger. Her eyes were heavy with sleep, but her mind was restless. Beast Boy had kissed her. It was nothing to mull over. He didn't sweep her up in his arms. It was a simple, friendly, goodnight kiss. Yet, she couldn't stop thinking about it.

'Just stop' Raven told herself as she flipped over onto her side and glared are the clock. The red numbers glared right back at her, it was only 4:56 am. Raven groaned and closed her cerulean eyes. Thoughts she knew she should not be having flashed through her head and she quickly opened them and stared into the darkness of the room.

A loud ringing erupted from the living room and without much thought to her still somewhat aching body Raven shot out of the bed and scampered down the hallway finding something to keep herself busy with. Who could be calling at this hour, she didn't know but she silently thanked them before picking up the phone.

They had saved her from any more unnecessary dreaming. "Hello?"

"Is Doctor Logan available?" An important and urgent voice asked. 

"Um, hang on just a second." Raven rushed back to the bedroom and hesitated slightly before shaking him from his slumber. "Beast Boy, wake up." He wiggled around momentarily before mumbling something and settling back into sleep.

The young woman rolled her eyes and shoved him harder. "Get up! There's someone on the phone for you! It sounds like your work!" 

W-what?" he managed to ask groggily. Beast Boy rubbed his eyes and stared up at Raven who's own eyes were fixed on the wall behind him. 

"There is a phone call for you!"

"Oh!" Now somewhat more alert, Beast Boy crawled out from under the layers of blankets and staggered down the hall into the living room. The receiver was waiting patiently for him on the end table. He picked it up with caution, preparing for the worst.

"This is Bea—the um, Doctor...Doctor Logan."

"I apologize for waking you up sonny and I know this is your vacation," a strong voice that could only belong to his boss, Dr. Griffin, "We need you immediately. Just get down here now, I'll explain when you arrive." 

"Okay, I'm on my way." He hung up the phone and stormed into the bedroom. Raven was sitting on the edge of the bed, concentrating on her folded hands. "They need me at work. It sounds serious." Beast Boy paid no attention to the fact that Raven was still in the bedroom as he hastily changed into a long sleeved button down shirt, and gray slacks. 

He threw his tie on carelessly and glanced over at his wife noticing that she hadn't protested about him changing in the same room she was occupying, and that she hadn't even made any effort to move from her spot. "Are you alright?" He asked her.

"I'm fine. Just get to work."

"Fine...um, I'll see you later. I don't know when I'm going to get back." 

"Okay."

"Yeah, bye." Beast Boy muttered grabbing his keys and wallet and heading out the bedroom door. He could tell something was wrong with Raven, but he had no time to push the subject this morning. He would bother her about it later.

Now was not the time to worry about home life, Beast Boy knew that there was something wrong at work, presumably an animal in serious trouble. He looked down at the wedding ring on his finger as he revved up his moped. The young man hated that Raven was upset about something and he couldn't do anything to help at the moment.