Chapter 11: The Gradual Fall

"So fall asleep love, loved by me...for I know love, I am loved by thee."

-Robert Browning

Children's laughter and the sounds of hushed whispers danced around the dark classroom. It was nap time. Raven walked around the room, avoiding wriggling children on their tiny blue mats, to turn on the 'soothing' music that was requested by the PTA and close the blinds.

Raven paused at the window. Clouds were forming and the young woman prayed for rain. Beast Boy was starting his position as soccer coach that day, and she was certainly not anticipating his arrival.

Work had been a pleasant break from staying away from her husband, the past few days were filled with awkward silences and impromptu departures. A quiet knock on the door roused the young woman from her thoughts.

She saw Olivia's poised face staring at her through the foggy glass. Carefully, she walked across the classroom and over to the door.

"Hello Olivia," Raven whispered letting herself out into the hallway.

"Hi Raven, I'm glad to see you're looking well."

"Thank you."

"I came by to see if you needed any help with the students, I made cookies." Olivia held up a plate of fresh cookies wrapped in pink cellophane and tied with a perfect bow.

"Oh," Raven said surprised the woman handed her the plate enthusiastically. "They're napping right now."

"Well, afterwards. Oh yes, and there are a variety of cookies along with a list of which children are allergic to what. Just follow the list and hopefully none of them will swell up," she said eagerly and earnestly.

"Um thanks." She smiled thoughtfully.

"Gar starts as coach today," Olivia said abruptly, her eyebrow raised. "Are you ready?"

"Ready?" Raven asked, slightly puzzled.

"Your husband is going to get a lot of attention."

"What do you mean?" Raven had a feeling that it had something to do with the perky brunette woman that approached her the other day.

Olivia looked at her with wide eyes and shook her head. "Well, Diane will be there no doubt. After all, she was quite coquettish at the meeting. She has been saying that your marriage is on the rocks."

"What?"

"She's up to something Raven," Olivia warned.

Raven felt ill, she had never been in a situation such as this before. "Up to something?"

"Raven, I would have to tally her total of homes ruined to about six or seven," Olivia whispered heatedly. "Don't let her have the opportunity to worm her way in. I know your husband would never cheat, but that isn't assurance enough when someone like Diane is involved! You have to do something!"

"What exactly, Olivia, do you suggest that I do?' Raven asked trying to keep the panic from her voice. She was treading in foreign waters and needed advice from what she assumed was a seasoned vet when it came to this sort of marital issue.

"Women are constantly playing games, there are rules! Remember when you were in high school, how awful and conniving those girls were?"

"Um...I was home schooled," she fibbed.

"Oh, well...just be more of a wife, make your presence known," Olivia saw the confusion on Raven's face and elaborated, "You can't just sit in the background. Go to the practices, smile, and don't be afraid to show affection. Otherwise, she'll persist in making Gar her plaything."