Chapter Five

Karina gave him a look "What? The look on your face says I am not gonna like this... so just spit it out and get it over with"

"We have this thing that we do. We as in the wolves it's called imprinting, it only happens after we phase for the first time, I guess the simplest way to describe it would be like finding your soulmate.."

He trailed off as Karina gave him a look "what does that have to do with my question?" then she trailed off as it hit her "Oh" her eyes narrowed at him "you imprinted on me"

He nodded confirming what she said "yeah the day you came home at the diner"

Karina scoffed "of course it's all making sense now... the looks the way you're always trying to talk to me, it's because of this imprint thing, all of it, you only regret breaking up with me because of it, like it's making you feel obligated to try and I don't know try and fix this-"

He cut her off before she could keep talking because she couldn't be further from the truth, because he did regret everything that happened that night and it had nothing to do with the imprint "That is not true Karina, that regret was there long before the imprint happened... I know that I messed up that night and if I could change it I would in a heartbeat..."

She gave him a look surprised at the sincerity in his voice "Oh, really now?"

Paul gave her a nod "Yes Karina really and honestly before it happened I didn't even want an imprint..."

Karina was a bit curious about that "why not?"

He sighed looking back at her "Just the thought of our ancestors or fate or whatever choosing the person that we're supposed to be with just never sat right with me... never liked the idea of not being able to pick that person for myself" then he looks her in the eyes "but then I saw you that day and it happened and everything just changed and I knew that it wasn't going to be easy and I don't blame you for being the way you have been with me, I was a dick and I deserved it but the point that I'm trying to make is that the imprint isn't making me do anything K, I am sorry about what happened that night and I do regret breaking your heart, and I just- give me a chance here to make it up to you..."

Karina sighed, not saying anything for a moment just thinking about everything that she had just learned, her ex-boyfriend, the same guy that shattered her heart a little over a year ago is supposedly her soulmate? The person that she was meant to be with? Yeah... right like she believed that.

"Fate just loves to screw me over huh? After everything that happened between us... Seriously Paul now you're telling me that we're basically soulmates? I might have believed that a year ago but now I'm not so sure... I need to think, I just need time to think."

The boy nodded at her trying to explain it a little bit more "K this is not something that we can control but if I'm being honest here I'm not mad that it's you, I want to make it up to you, Karina I will give you whatever time you need... but I am not going anywhere, I will be there when you're ready because I promise you that it's different this time"

Karina bit her lip before letting out a sigh "I'm not saying that we can't work this out, we've always been able to work through our issues but right now I just need space, time to think about everything"

He nodded at her "I get it K... take whatever time you need, like I said I'll be there when you're ready, but also one last thing you should know is that it doesn't have to be a romantic thing, just whatever you are comfortable with I can be whatever you need me to be K"

She gave him a slight smile "thanks... I'll get back to you on that" he smiled back at her "any other questions?"

Karina thinks for a moment "So the imprinting thing is what happened with Sam, Leah, and Emily? After Sam phased he imprinted on Emily and that's why he broke off his engagement with Leah?"