~ Stay ~

" Mija, you're way too sick to go on a date with Grey today" Carlotta sighed looking at the thermometer, " It's not a date mama, we are just going to dinner together," Carmen sniffled wiping her nose with a tissue making Carlotta huff, " You had a romantic picnic, you tangoed together and now you are planning on going to Chila's together, you may as well do the devils tango and say you are only friends,"  

" MAMA! Seriously?! What is wrong with you?" Carmen snapped wide eyed, although it could have been the fever that made her face tinted red Carlotta was sure it was the second hand embarrassment, she couldn't help but have crossed her arms with a frown, " Nothing's wrong with me, I am just saying it as it is! Just admit it Mija, you like him and he likes you!"  Carmen sighed putting her hands on her burning forehead. " Ok, can we please talk about this some other day? I don't have the energy to argue with you right now," Carlotta scowled at that before standing up from her daughter's bed " See! This is what I don't like about you, I am your mother Carmen. But you still treat me like a stranger, you never share anything with me! I don't want to force you Mija but I have the right to worry about you, whether you like it or not.." Carlotta retorted before heading out of the room with a lump in her throat. " Mama I didn't mean it like-" Before she could convince her otherwise she had left the room. Carmen sighed gripping her head with exhaustion. She was tired of... everything. She had to force herself to get out of bed, brush her teeth and comb her hair and look appropriate every day. She felt like she had a hangover, but a hangover doesn't last a month. 

It pained her to hide things from her mother, but she didn't know where to begin with how she felt. Relaxing had always made her fidgety and anxious but this was to another level. Nightmares that would wake her up in the middle of the night, tiredness that would last for days, headaches that would never go away, nausea that made her lose her appetite, restlessness which made her even sicker, and the worst feeling of all... hopelessness. Carmen didn't have the strength to fight it anymore- on the run she never really had time to feel her emotions. Now that she had all the time in the world, her body couldn't comprehend where to start. Years of stress and overworking hadn't exactly done her good on her mental well-being. But as long as she kept on distracting herself she had to be fine... right?

                                                                          xxxXXxxx

Graham rang the doorbell to the Valdez home, Shifting his weight from one leg to the other as he heard speedy footsteps nearing the front door. " Hello, Grey! I hope I am not disturbing you!" Carlotta beamed opening the door. 

" Oh not at all, I didn't have any plans today," Gray retorted with a pleasant smile as Carlotta ushered him to come in. " I am so sorry to call you here on short notice, but I have a few errands to run and the kids are all taking a nap right now so they shouldn't disturb you but Carmen has been having quite a high fever all day and she is being stubborn that she will take care of herself, I was hoping maybe she will listen to you and enjoy your company?" Carlotta said with a tinge of frustration and worry, she loved Carmen and all but she never depended on anyone even when she needed it." Ah, I see. Don't you worry about her, I have dealt with her stubbornness before. She will be alright" Gray chuckled easing some of the worries from Carlotta's shoulder, " I know she is in good hands." She smiled,  "The cold meds are in that cabinet right there, she took some Advil a few hours back but if she is still having a headache then there is some Tylenol in there too, Carlotta pointed to the cabinet underneath the TV in the living room," Got it,"

" And call me if the fever is getting worse or she is being too difficult." Carlotta suggested, " Again Grey if you have plans or anything I don't- " Before Carlotta could ramble any longer Gray escorted her to the front door with a chuckle, " you worry too much! I really don't have anything to do today so don't think I am doing you a favor," Carlotta caressed his cheek with a gleam in her eyes, she didn't know how stupid Carmen could get, but she would be an idiot to not love this man. She hugged Grey before finally heading out the door. 

Grey suspired with a sympathetic smile as the entrance finally closed. He immediately turned around glancing at the ajar door on the other side of the hall. It was awfully quiet in the house, as he walked toward the bedroom all he could hear was the squeaking of floorboards. He gently opened the door fully only to discover a fast asleep Carmen. The soft lilting sound of her breath filled the eerie room as he walked toward a cushioned chair near the bed to grab the transparent-lidded box the thermometer was in. Grey gently tapped Carmen's shoulder making her shift around before she let out an annoyed groan, " I'm awake, I'm awake!" She jerked up straight rubbing her eyes before taking a deep breath and peering at Grey. It took a second but she finally realized it wasn't her mom who had woken her up.

Carmen could hardly keep her eyes open from the massive headache that strained her vision. " Grey?.. What are you doing here?"

" I'm here to help," Grey said gently almost like a whisper, he lightly put the back of his hand on her forehead, which just like he had imagined-was scorching. Grey gave her a worrying smile before retreating his hand. " Your fever hasn't gone down has it? I will be right back " Just as Grey stood from his seat and walked toward the door, a large thud echoed through the room from behind, Grey immediately turned around only to see Carmen collapsed onto the mattress right beside her bed. Her auburn hair covered most of her face as she heavily panted, before glancing at Grey. " Why do you always have to leave me?" With whatever energy Carmen had left, she pushed herself off the mattress and onto her unstable feet. Before Grey could reach out to help her from face-planting back to the ground she swatted his arms away," You keep on leaving me, everyone keeps on leaving me! What's wrong with me?" Carmen grabbed her head with dismay and panic, "What's wrong with me Gray, why do you keep on leaving me like that?" Grey sighed before he finally walked over to her, she again tried to swat him away but this time her efforts were wasted as Grey grabbed her hand before she could push him away. Carmen winced at his hard grasp but he soon eased his clutch over her and guided her to the bed. " I am not going to leave you Carmen not again, I am right here, and nothing's wrong with you. You are just going through a hard time that's all," Gray tucked the stray strands of her hair behind her ear, and a part of her wanted to lean into his touch, just close her eyes and guide her hands to his, but even though she was this delusional she knew not to push her luck and so she sat there not caring about the nasty crocodile tears that were about to burst out of her eyes any second. 

" I am going to get you some medicine, I am coming right back okay?" Gray said softly, eyes still fixated on her,  but before he could push himself off the bed, her hands hurled him back onto the bed tightly clasped on his waist. He could feel her hitched breaths on his back, her tears staining his shirt, " Stay..." her muffled, almost inaudible whisper made his heart drop. She had gone through so much that she didn't have to, she pushed herself to the edge of her limits willing to surpass the line if necessary in order to make sure no one else had to go through what she went through.  Grey could hear the hopelessness and need in her voice, and it drilled a hole into him. 

He sat back down, gently moving his hands to hers, which were still wrapped around his waist, he caressed her hands before she finally removed them." Hey... it's ok. I am right here, you are ok," before he could stop himself, he cupped her face, glancing at the tears dampening her cheeks like water through sand. " I will stay right here, for as long as you need me too."  

To be continued... 

Authors Note,

Hiya! I am sorry it took so long for me to write this chapter but I just haven't been able to find the time lately, since transitioning to high school and getting accustomed to all the work and everything has been pretty stressful. But I am back! Hopefully being able to update every week-two weeks or so :D 

Oh yeah! Here's the drawing, which is pretty much a doodle honestly lmao