[006] mama goose

┌───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┐
SIX
mama goose
└───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┘

┌───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┐SIXmama goose└───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┘

☆.。.:*  .。.:*☆

ONE summer's night, when she was just young enough to remember, Celeste's mother took her into the back garden to dedicate a star to Goose. Balanced on Wendy's hip, she had willingly looked to the skies as always, before listening to her request to find the brightest one there was; it was going to be for him. "Then whenever we look up at the sky, he'll have his special place up there," said Wendy to her daughter.

Little Celeste had found this a strange task at first — after all, even she knew that stars were just luminous balls of hydrogen and helium. Nevertheless, she followed her mother's instructions and pointed out a star at random. It wasn't the brightest star in the sky, but it was the most constant one: Polaris, the North Star. It was the one that never failed to appear every night, wherever she was, and perhaps that was better than being the brightest one of them all. Although she was far too young to remember him, Goose was somehow a constant in the children's lives, survived by vivid stories and his son. If she were to get really sentimental, it sometimes felt like he was watching over them from above.

... So Bradley isn't the only one who's just been hit where it hurt.

Caring not for who she leaves behind the double doors, Celeste jogs after him. Her skin still simmers with fury over Hangman's comment — everyone knows he likes to get a rise out of people, but that was a new low. She could barely look him in the eye afterwards.

"Bradley! Bradley, wait!"

He doesn't stop. It only takes her catching up, circling round in front of him and blocking his path for Bradley to halt, and even then he keeps his stare anywhere but where her own is. They both catch their breaths, whether from the jogging or being wound up by Hangman, as the air slowly smooths out their breathing again. Bradley's expression is still scarred with old wounds that have just been dug up again.

     "Are you okay?" she asks him.

     "Yeah, I'm fine," he responds curtly.

"You sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure..."

     "Look, Hangman just likes getting a rise out of people. It was a dick move, obviously, but I'm sure tomorrow he won't even—"

     "Celeste..." Bradley places his hands on her shoulders, stilling her frustrated hand gestures slicing the air. His voice is so tight when he speaks that is trembles slightly. "I just... I really wanna be alone right now. Okay? It's not you, I promise."