Chapter 5: Memories

I wake up from my pleasant dream. I'm in a pretty big room, and compared to my room in the secondary mansion, this one was well-kept. The bed was comfortable enough that I didnt want to get up from there. As I moved my head and focus my view on the window, I noticed that it was still dawn.

Ahhh, this is life. I can finally take a breath after all. I mean, can you blame me?

This is the first break I've had in a long time, I've been through a string of completely stressful situations without a break.

That is, recapitulating everything I've done so far. I was killed, I recovered my memories of my past life, I met a strange entity, I went back in time, I had to deal with nobles and I faced my father. I mean, I'm surprised at myself.

Am I not great?

I managed to do all of that with a tremendous amount of pressure on me, I think I've earned the right to have a little relaxation.

When I calm my thoughts, I realize that many things have changed, more specifically within me. Before I wasn't such a direct or calculating person like now, without a doubt the old me, I wouldn't have even been able to look the duke in the eye, much less show him my calves.

Ahhh that was so embarrassing, swallow me earth!

But what I say is true, before, not in a million years would I have been able to achieve everything I did.

Before I was a pretty shy person, and although I'm not proud of it, I had a pretty serious case of inferiority complex, even more, I think I still have it. I mean, I was always compared to my brother, and despised for not having an ounce of his talent. Because I was used to avoiding people as much as possible, I have rarely spoken and when I was abused I couldn't help it.

But the mere fact that I am able to recognize that by myself is already a great sign that I have changed, and I think it is the reason why.

My memories of my past life.

Before I died at the hands of those bandits, I remembered everything about my past life, I think the belief that your whole life flashes before your eyes when you are about to die is very accurate.

In my past life I lived, in a different world than this one.

It was a world where magic did not exist and humans had developed thanks to technology.

In that world I lived as an orphan, but it wasn't as sad as it seemed.

The orphanage where I lived was quite good, compared to other places where children are starving, this seemed like a five-star hotel. The people in charge of the orphanage were very friendly, but they made sure to make clear a line that we should not cross with them, they practically told us not to get too attached to them.

Regarding the other orphans, we get along very well with each other. In my case, I used to be a quiet but mischievous child. I didnt express myself well, but in hindsight you could tell what I was what people called a hyperactive child. I used to run without getting tired, made a lot of jokes, I was quite carefree if I can say it myself.

It was a good life, it is just that I never felt very attached to it. Everyone was friendly, yes, but I didn't feel that there was someone special to me.

I think I started wanting affection when most of my friends were adopted. Little by little, over the years, my friends left the orphanage,

Obviously because they had found a family that loved them. But no one ever chose me. More years passed, and I got to high school, I was that kind of guy who is part of a group, but if he left no one would notice, I was kind to everyone, but I had no one to call a close friend.

But that was by far the biggest of my worries, I was already fifteen years old, and unlike in this world, you are an adult at eighteen and legally one can only be in an orphanage until you became adult. Which means I only had three more years left in the orphanage.

That fact was my biggest concern, because I really didn't know what to do when I got kicked out of there. I have no family or close friends and I gave up the possibility of being adopted, I mean who wants to adopt a teenager in their fifteenth birthday? The potential parents only wanted babies or small children, that is, that was no longer a possibility for me.

So with nothing else to do, after school I went to my part-time job at a convenience store, with the goal of saving enough to have my own place.

But after all my efforts, I only found one final friend. But I can't remember how I died.

That's pretty much what I remember from what I'll call my first life from now on, the second one being where I was killed.

Wow this almost looks like a video game where I've already had a game over twice, but hey, remember what they say, the third time's the charm.

But going back to the situation I am in now, I can only come to the conclusion that the memories and emotions of my past lives affected my personality, although this is not something that worries me, I mean, thanks to that change I was able to deal with my problems.

Ahhh, thinking about all this is a headache!

Ready, decided I won't think anymore.

I am rested at last, I will not let my own thoughts interrupt my relaxation time.

Being true to my thoughts, I settle back into my bed, and fall back into a deep sleep.

I didn't know at the time that this break was nothing more than the calm before the storm.