Chapter 9: Surprise

It's been a grueling few weeks. Why am I so tired?

Well, it is because of the people around me who have disturbed my sacred time of rest.

I thought that after finishing the deal with the Marchioness, I would finally have some time for myself and be able to rest.

But apparently my day off is still far away.

After the duke set out to be a better father figure, he has been very aware of me.

Of course, examples are like asking me to help him with his administrative work in his office. I say help, but honestly I only eat sandwiches while he works in silence, asking the odd questions about my tastes from time to time.

He has also been helping me with my classes that I used to have with Elizabeth. Apparently he does that in his spare time.

I usually tell him that it is not necessary and that a simple tutor would serve to finish my homework.

Well, although to be honest I can finish all my homework in a flash compared to the work Drystan used to do in my past life, this is child's play.

But even with my constant words, the duke flatly refuses to stop helping me study.

Then, when I'm done with the duke, to add more problems to my list, Xander joins the duke, and they show me their sword practice with the head of the knights in the training yard.

On one occasion, the head knight suggested that I too start practicing with the sword.

At such a suggestion, the duke and Xander made a look that could be compared to a murderer's look at such a suggestion. The head knight immediately withdrew the suggestion.

To be honest, I was very relieved to hear that I wouldn't have to practice. In my second life, I desperately tried several times to learn how to swing the sword. Just to understand the harsh reality that I don't have the slightest talent for weapons.

Before it would have been a problem not having a way to defend myself against future problems, but with Celine's help I am learning how to use the mana from my body, soon I will be able to use magic to defend myself.

After practicing, the duke has to continue his work because he has to retire. As a consequence, Xander sticks to me like he's a tick.

Do not misunderstand me.

It's not like I despised having his attention. In fact, for a long time, I wished that I could be relevant to their lives. But now that I'm part of them, I don't really know how I should act.

I keep having some problems due to my nervousness, so I still can't communicate with them properly.

But I know that they are making an effort to be closer to me.

I really appreciate their efforts, so the right thing to do is to do my best to get comfortable with them as soon as possible.

It has been over a month since I came to the duke's main mansion.

My daily routine has been to eat breakfast, take classes with my tutor and the duke in the morning, help the duke with his work, and join Xander and the head knight in their training in the afternoon, and after dinner have magic training with Celine at night.

To be honest, the latter is the most tiring. Celine has proven to be quite the Spartan teacher.

Although unlike taking classes with Elizabeth, I really enjoy magical training with Celine.

Even if it's a crash course in how to make the mana run through my body, Celine always makes sure I dont go overload.

I truly believe that soon I will be able to use magic to attack soon.