Chapter 10: Vengeance

I wasn’t prepared for what I was about to find out about the Princess.

She’s always so innocent, nice, and smart. Just like any of the ruling class, a little power hungry but deep within her I can always see a good person, but I was wrong.

I prepared all my items in front of her.

“Your Majesty, I would like to request something different for this trial that I’m about to do,” I said to her.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Allow me to look into your eyes, before conjuring food,”

“That’s strange,” she replied, intrigued.  “I never saw that in your books.  But I did read a similar method used in another species,” 

She paused for a while, contemplating about it. “Sure,” she replied.

I felt relieved, for a while I thought she was going to say no.

I prepared myself, before looking into her eyes. I imagined she’ll have an image of this place, all beautiful and well run. I smiled.

Then I looked into her eyes.

My vision tunnelled. And then I was transported somewhere else.

I was in front of the Princess, she was sitting on her throne. I could hear chains behind me, I looked back and saw other creatures chained. Crying before her. I looked back at the Princess and an evil grin crept across her face. She then pointed at the creatures and screamed something at them. Three knights made their way towards the creature, one of them carrying a heavy sword.

They kicked the creature down and the two knights held it on both of their arms. The creature was crying, pleading for its life, then the third one lifted their sword. As the sword made its way towards the creature's neck the vision stopped. Then a word popped into my mind - revenge.

I was startled with what I saw, I couldn’t imagine the Princess that way.

I steadied myself and closed my eyes.

I concentrated the emotion within the cauldron - revenge. I envisioned it in its purest form, as a black liquid. I could smell a sweet odour waft from the cauldron. I then imagined the black liquid slowly taking the shape of a roasted chicken. Then the sweet odour was slowly replaced by the odour of a roasted chicken. The spices and seasonings and the smell of cooked meat filled the air. I know I did something right.

I opened my eyes, “It’s done Princess,” I said. I picked her plate and put the chicken in it. The chicken was still smoking, as if it was freshly cooked. The Princess closed her eyes, as she took the aroma in, and the moment the plate landed on her table her hand grabbed its leg, and then she took a quick bite.

The Princess’ head jerked back from her chair. Her entire body froze, as if she was a statue.

“Princess,” I said, waiting for a response. She was still frozen. This can’t be right.

I was about to rush to her to wake her up, but then she moved.

“Aaaah” she gasped for air. She jerked her body forward, almost hitting the table. Tears were starting to form at the corner of her eyes, as she hyperventilated. “Lyra,” She said, still gasping for air. “Where-” She tried speaking, but she choked on herself.

I allowed her to collect herself for a while, it was quite unusual seeing the Princess like this. She has always been composed, elegant, and calculative.

“What was that?” she finally asked.

“That was the roasted chicken you ordered, Princess,” I replied. “I spent the whole night practicing. Was it good?”