Chapter 14: History

The knights had already left for whatever task the Princess had assigned to them, leaving me and the Princess alone in the room. I wanted to ask her about what I saw in her laboratory, but this clearly isn’t the best time. Maybe if I make myself useful, I can ask her?

“Follow me,” she said. She led me towards the library. She then picked a book, the title says: Feasts of the kingdom. “So, this is something we do in our area. We had these huge feasts,” she scanned through the pages stopping at a drawn picture of hundreds of people lined along long tables, with massive amounts of food on it. “We used to do this to impress the high ranking guests. They would wonder how we had access to such enormous amounts of resources,” a smile crept from her face. “What they didn’t know is we used magic to produce such foods,”

“Are you saying that I do that too?” I asked.

“Yes. All you need is a huge pot, that’s all,” she said as if it’s something I can do in a flash. I’m very much in doubt if I can do it, but the Princess, despite being human, knows a lot more about my powers than I do, so I followed along.

It always amazes me what one can do with so much wealth and power. Within a few moments she had two maids carry a huge clay pot into our room.

“It’s been said that your kind acquires their power from the earth. So, it would make sense that a huge clay pot would amplify yours,” she said, examining the pot. “Go on, give it a try.”

I summoned food in the clay pot and it appeared in multitudes. I looked at the Princess, she seemed pleased about the results. Sensing the light changes in her mood, I immediately decided that it’s time to discuss the laboratory incident.

“Princess,” I said. I looked around, making sure nobody was around us. “I need to come clean. The truth is I lied to you,”

I paused anticipating a response, but none came from her.

“During the party, I saw what was inside the laboratory,” I closed my eyes, expecting a punishment, but none came.

Instead, she replied in a calm voice “I know.” She turned to look at me.

“Then why were there bear-like creatures tied up?” I asked her, carefully choosing my words.

“I think it's time you know about my history, where me and my knights came from. Follow me,” she said.
I followed her towards her room, she picked a book hidden under her bed. She offered me a seat beside her. It was a huge purple book. She opened the first page and revealed a place shaped like a star. In the centre was a huge pentagon.

“This was the kingdom where I came from. In each point of the star, a different species resides. I’m not sure which is which, I must admit I’ve never been out. But all I know is that in the centre,” she pointed at the pentagon in the middle. “Is where everyone lived in harmony. We had the best guards, who are almost invincible,” She flipped to the next page showing a drawn image of the same bear-like creatures like Darius, in heavy armour. “And ofcourse the  best food served by the likes of you,” she looked at me, seeming happy over what she just said. I tried pulling on the best smile I can give.

She flipped to the next page, on it was another hand drawn image. This time of men and women (I assume are conjurers) lined up on a table, summoning food. None of them seemed happy with what they were doing. Something about it just doesn’t sit right with me.

“And of course many more amazing things made by the … others,” she then quickly flipped the pages, going over the other species and closed the book. “It was paradise, until one day a war broke out. We’re not sure how it started, it happened all of a sudden,” she paused,as if trying to repress her emotions. “It was horrible, you woke up to the noise of screaming people around you. Next thing you know all your neighbours are dead, and your dead was loading you up in a carriage to another castle, I survived thanks to my knights but my father never made it out, last time I saw him he was mauled by one of the ursas,”

The thought of Jeck, Clara, Darius, and Seth turning wild and mauling others never occurred to me. They might seem strange, but they were pretty harmless. I can’t believe what I just heard from the Princess.

“Listen Lyra, those creatures. They’re vile and wicked. They were known to manipulate anyone to get on the highest ranks, it’s been said that the war was started by a high ranking general,” She looked me in the eye, her eyes full of fear and caution. “They are dangerous Lyra, they will destroy our place. We need to weed them out as soon as possible,”

I’ve never  been this conflicted before. There’s my experience dictating me how good Darius and his kind could be, and then there’s the Princess telling me they’re vile. I don’t know what to do, part of me wants to inform them about the Princess’ plans while another part of me wants them to get caught. Little did I know I’ll end up choosing neither.

As soon as the plans commenced, everyone got busy. It was a five day event, nobody was allowed to stop doing it until it's done. The maids were busy constructing the long tables needed for the event, the Knights were taught techniques on how to apprehend once the said creatures are caught, the Princess was busy supervising everything, while I was there assigned in my room with a huge pot to practice my food making skills and feed the working staff.

“Can I go out for a while?” I asked the Princess as she was making rounds, checking everything. I just want to check up on the team so bad, I might give them a warning.

“Are you kidding me? The event’s in five days. Go practice making more food, and feed the staff their meal,” She then walked away.

So there I was stuck in the castle, doing the same thing over and over. Unable to contact the team, unable to warn them of what’s ahead. The five days went by quickly, soon the long banquet halls were filled with decorations, as maids carried hot meals that I made. I watched as the people flooded in the room, towards the feast. I remember hoping Darius and the team wouldn't show up, but of course I was wrong. A few moments later, I saw them walking in towards the Princess’ trap.