𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙸𝚅

It had been a year and a half since that day. Things had not been pleasant, to say the least. Viserys and Alicent had married, and she was now pregnant. Rhaenyra had been giving them the silent treatment ever since. Daemon was nowhere to be seen. And I? Well, I had been trying my best not to let my family fall to shit.

I was walking through the gardens when I heard someone call me.

"Marianne?" Alicent called from behind me.

"Yes, your grace?" I asked as I looked back to face her. Ever since they were wed, I had refused to call her by something other than 'your grace'. Calling her Alicent made it seem like we were friends, which was no longer the case. Knowing that she didn't like when I called her by her tittle made it a thousand times more enjoyable.

"May I walk with you?" She asked.

"If you must." I said with a short nod.

"How have you been?" She asked me.

"Normal. I suppose." I responded.

"What about Rhaenyra?"

"How do you think? It was not easy for us to see our best friend marry Viserys." I told her.

"I never meant to hurt any of you." She said sadly.

"But you did. You had been spending time with him right under our noses. How do you think that made us feel?" I asked her.

"I thought it would be over by now." She sighed.

"Did you genuinely think that after such betrayal we would now be acting like a happy family, your grace?" I asked her with a slightly raised eyebrow.

"I did, Marianne. I truly did." Alicent said.

"Then I apologize, your grace, but you must be delusional." I said slightly shaking my head.

"I must be." She said with a sad smile. "I thought it would bring us closer... after all, now we are actually family."

"You thought marrying Rhaenyra's father would bring us closer?" I asked in disbelief. "Let me tell you something a lot of people won't tell you. The only reason your marriage happened, was because the council is still expecting a male heir. Sure, they bent the knee to Rhaenyra, but I know for a fact that if you are carrying a son, they will gladly forget they ever did." I explained.

"That is not true." She said shaking her head. "Rhaenyra would be a fantastic Queen."

"I know she will." I corrected. "But the council does not. They would rather go over their own word, than accept a woman to sit on the Iron Throne. That's the only reason why you married Viserys. Because the council urges that the King has a male heir."

"But... what if it's a girl? What if all I have are girls?" She asked worriedly.

"They I am afraid you are no longer useful for them, your grace. I know this was all your father's doing. He will try everything he can so that Rhaenyra and Daemon are away from the throne." I told her.

"N-No..." She denied quickly.

"Do not take me as stupid, your grace. Underestimating me is the last thing people should do." I warned.

Alicent didn't respond. She just looked at me, slightly shocked of what I had told her.

"Enjoy the rest of your evening, your grace." I said with a head bow, before leaving her alone.

Alicent was used as pawn by her own father, and she had to know it. She could not possibly be stupid enough to believe that her father wanted her to marry Viserys for her own good. If she did... well, poor thing.